Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 3, 2016, 11:32 AM
Rookie

Default NZXT S340 vs Corsair Carbide 400C/Q vs Phanteks P400S

I'm looking into building a new rig (6700K / 980Ti / etc.) and was wondering if anyone has any experience of these cases? I'm looking for something relatively compact (but still ATX) that can take both an AIO for the CPU (e.g. Kraken x61 or similar) as well as, potentially, a watercooled 980Ti, such as the model by Corsair or the inno3D model.

All these are in roughly the same ballpark in terms of price, size, and weight, so I'm really not sure which has an advantage. In terms of looks, I like the design of all three and would be happy to see them on my desk. If there are any other cases anyone would throw into the mix, I'd be grateful to hear about them - I'm willing to go slightly higher in terms of price.

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can offer.
Old March 4, 2016, 05:44 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I can't talk about the nzxt or the phanteks cases but I bought a 400C right when it came out several weeks ago and overall I'm pleased with it. I was looking for a compact atx case and I think corsair did a good overall job with the case in trying to make it as small as possible while still being able to fit full size components/water cooling gear. I have it on my desk and it looks great, the quality of the finish is there and the big side windowed panel with the hinges works/looks great. The only issue I have is with the front panel retention clips. I broke mine trying to remove the panel to install additional fans and if you look around the web other people have been experiencing the same problem. Corsair sent me a new font panel thanks to their excellent RMA but it's definitely something to be aware of if you go with this case, just don't use the method they have in the booklet to get the panel off, try removing it by pushing the clips from inside the case to "unclip" them instead. I find that stock the case doesn't really have good cooling with a single 120mm fan in the back and a single 140mm fan in the front, so I bought additional fans and it made a huge difference. Beside that I think its a great case and I'm definitely loving the "compact" atx size although I would say that it wasn't the best building experience since the case is pretty compact and there is not a whole lot of room to work but that kinda goes with the territory.

Last edited by Groove; March 4, 2016 at 05:56 PM.