Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 26, 2016, 02:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Looks good and kudos for making it different from the norm. This is very much along the lines of the Bitfenix Prodigy when it comes to innovative case design.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Zalman FX70; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI GTX960; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 4TB WD Red, 2x 2TB WD Green; Corsair RM650I; Corsair Carbide 600C;
Son's Rig: M5A97; FX8350; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; Powercolor 7950; 250GB Crucial MX200; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old January 26, 2016, 03:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZXT-Eric View Post
I carried the CES sample case through 2 airports with no issues at all. It will make a great LAN PC.
NCASE M1 - $185 USD - 12.7L
Silverstone SG13 - $49 USD - 11.5L
Silverstone RVZ02 - $69.99 - 12L
NFC S4 - $185 - 4.7L

4 examples from both the high and low end of mITX cases are efficient in their use of space and by far better suited for lan. Some of these options fit in a simple backpack with other items..

There are many more examples, but I think the point is quite clear.

Old January 26, 2016, 04:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

In fairness to NZXT this isn't something that can be laid at their feet specifically, it's something that's common to most mainstream manufacturers of mITX cases.

The prodigy is what... something north of 25L? The fact that they released a mATX version without changing the dimensions says it all.

I'm not looking for a super tiny mITX case, and my 380T is not a small case by any means but I think the industry is focusing on the wrong things when they're building mITX cases.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old January 26, 2016, 04:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
In fairness to NZXT this isn't something that can be laid at their feet specifically, it's something that's common to most mainstream manufacturers of mITX cases.

The prodigy is what... something north of 25L? The fact that they released a mATX version without changing the dimensions says it all.

I'm not looking for a super tiny mITX case, and my 380T is not a small case by any means but I think the industry is focusing on the wrong things when they're building mITX cases.
Agreed. It's not the only mITX case that's a bit beefy. However, here's a difference between M1 micro-case and 'unusually large for an MITX', and I think this is the later.

Although our NZXT rep was happy to lug it around, I'd want something much smaller (or at least with a handle at that size haha) for a LAN case, but that's a really niche section of the market so I don't think it'll affect NZXT's sales much. Judging by the pics I'd guess it's roughly 2/3 or 3/4 the size of an H440. My H440 is sitting right beside me and even at 2/3 that's a sizeable bit of kit to lug around.

Gave the review another read and I still stand by my original reaction. Nice styling, and will attract some people just from the aesthetics, but not for me, and I'd guess (coupled with the opinions being expressed here) not for most.

That finish though! I'm really liking the matte color. Almost makes me wonder what my H440 would look like if I redid the white in matte.....
Old January 26, 2016, 04:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I forgot to say before, thanks for another great review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeKnight View Post
Agreed. It's not the only mITX case that's a bit beefy. However, here's a difference between M1 micro-case and 'unusually large for an MITX', and I think this is the later.

Although our NZXT rep was happy to lug it around, I'd want something much smaller (or at least with a handle at that size haha) for a LAN case, but that's a really niche section of the market so I don't think it'll affect NZXT's sales much. Judging by the pics I'd guess it's roughly 2/3 or 3/4 the size of an H440. My H440 is sitting right beside me and even at 2/3 that's a sizeable bit of kit to lug around.

Gave the review another read and I still stand by my original reaction. Nice styling, and will attract some people just from the aesthetics, but not for me, and I'd guess (coupled with the opinions being expressed here) not for most.

That finish though! I'm really liking the matte color. Almost makes me wonder what my H440 would look like if I redid the white in matte.....
Agree completely. Great looking case, just not for me.
Old January 26, 2016, 05:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post

Bitfenix Prodigy is 36L. 26L is without the handles, but they count... that space is taken up regardless of how you want to spin things... just like the NZXT S340 is not 36L as advertised.. that is without the feet being calculated, which puts it probably around 42L-44L and very close to the FT05.

Your 380T is something along the lines of 40L if I recall correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeKnight View Post

The fact that other large ITX cases exist is not a good explanation for making one that is even bigger than them. This is bigger than the Prodigy, 380T, and the recently announced Nano S.

When you think of the fact that the NZXT S340 houses an ATX board and is potentially smaller (volume) than the Manta, that's absurd. I think this actually showcases how efficient the S340 design really is, if anything - a case I have owned and really liked, btw.

Making a case larger than all other competitors that is the same volume as the FT05 (an ATX case) and saying it is "great for lan" speaks to an incredibly large disconnect with the SFF community, but I as I already mentioned before, this is clearly for another segment - one that I will never understand.

Old January 26, 2016, 07:08 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Love the look but it'd be really nice to see bigger manufacturers take the challenge to develop enthusiast mITX cases that are compact, efficient, novel, and thoughtful in their layout and use of space.

Right now it seems we have 2 camps: Barely-smaller-than mid-tower cases that are branded as mITX because that's how the standoffs are drilled, or non-enthusiast-grade HTPC chassis that are small but no real room for expansion or anything beyond integrated graphics.

Right now the only thing that I feel falls into the realm of true enthusiast ITX cases are the venerable SG05 (proven but basic/old design), NCASE M1 (limited and expensive), and soon to be released Dan Cases A4 (expensive and limited).

With such limited competition it boggles my mind that after all these years none of the bigger case companies have stepped up to compete with the aforementioned. Even Silverstone have not been able to really top their original SG05. Every successor seems to get more bloated instead of building on the simplicity and the availability of more and more ITX components.
Old January 26, 2016, 11:00 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

That case is too big to be mITX but i guess people will still buy it.
Old January 27, 2016, 11:46 AM
Trial Member

I wish they make a compact ATX version of this beauty.
Old January 28, 2016, 11:06 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I love the looks of it, but probably won't like the Canadian price when it arrives.

My issue with it, is had NZXT spent a little time with some of the measurements such as lowering the case feet height, it could have easily been a 4-slot Micro ATX case and really utilized that super water cooling capability for a nice enthusiast dual GPU setup.

Emotionally and aesthetically I like it a lot, but logically it's a bit of a strange one to me.

Vittra!

S340 is 38.3 litres from NZXT's measurements and 41 litres taking into account the case feet.

Get it right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732