Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 2, 2019, 08:58 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default WOPR Inspired PC

My co-worker recently got very heavily into 3D printing and came in with a model of the W.O.P.R. computer from WarGames. It got me thinking about making an entire custom PC case based on it to go with my Fallout themed home office as I feel the WOPR fits right in with that 1950's vibe.

Here's a couple poor reference pictures.

My plan right now is to use the longer, shorter side to house the motherboard and the taller side to route the external cables and hold the solid state drive. This means I need to put the motherboard ports on the right side of the case. This presents me with a problem as there's only two ways to really do that as far as I can tell.

One is to mount the motherboard to the front interior of the case in a normal orientation. This causes a problem as I want my radiators to be on the rear of the case and would make working on it very difficult.

The other is to mount the motherboard upside down. This would allow me to have the ports on the right side of the case and run the cooling hoses under the bottom of the motherboard tray. When I remove the case top it would be just like working in a normal tower.

I've been doing some rough sketches and research and have come up with a few idea's I could use input on.

Here is my rough design right now.

Side View

Top View

The idea is to create an isolated chamber on the back 1/3rd of the case to duct cold air in over the radiators to cool the GPU and CPU.

I'm also considering having a friend help me build a custom arduino setup to monitor my temps, etc and output that as LED light patterns mimicking the LED's on the WOPR.
Old January 2, 2019, 10:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

is it going to be to scale or smaller?