Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 2, 2018, 03:26 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Cable "sleeving" supplies

Hi guys (not sure if this goes here or not)
Im wondering where you guys buy your cable "sleeving" supplies. Im looking at making some extensions for my 24pin mobo
Plug, the eps 8 pin and my 2 pci 8 pin plugs. Im not sure if there are any local shops in my area (Montreal) as im not sure what to search for.
I know many go to dazmode but are there any other good places?
Speaking of which, dazmode sells pre sleeved cables but id like to save some money and sleeve my cables on my own. Im wondering if they sell pre crimped cables with male female terminals but without sleeves. I cant justify buying a 40$ crimper..

What are my cheapest options (besides not doing it at all lol..)
Old December 4, 2018, 03:31 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Well, the biggest factor that will determine the cost is whether you actually need to build extensions / custom length cables. If you have adequate length and are looking to get the sleeved look as cheaply as possible, it would cheaper to just sleeve your OEM PSU cables.

All you'd then need is the sleeving, heat shrink, a lighter and a staple to release the ATX pins from the connectors (Cable combs optional). I've done quite a few of these in the pre-modular PSU days and it works just fine. MDPC-X sleeving is amazing, but there is lower cost PET sleeving available.It will generally run $0.30-0.40 per foot for PET. If you're really looking for low budget, you can get paracord for <$0.10 per foot. Heat shrink and paracord can be found relatively cheap on amazon or at places like Princess Auto.

If you need to do extensions (or full cables), it's honestly hard to compete with the price of the $50 Chinese made extensions available on Amazon etc. You'll need wire, ATX pins, ATX connectors, wirestrippers, and a crimper in addition to the above materials. I have crimped pins with needlenose / automotive crimpers and soldered them in a pinch, but definitely do not recommend it.
Old December 4, 2018, 10:50 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Thanks for your response. I was thinking of making extensions so when I upgrade my system I can just use them again on another psu.
But as you mentioned, if I am trying to save money maybe I should just sleeve my existing cables and then sleeve again if I upgrade.

Do you think I can get away with 5/8" sleeving for it all?
Old December 4, 2018, 01:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm always in favor of either using extensions or custom cables unless you're going to be sleeving often. While you don't need a ton of tools, there's still a few you'll want and if it's your first time you'll probably need more sleeving than you expected. Phanteks sells a generic kit with multiple cables for $50
https://www.amazon.ca/Phanteks-Exten...+extension+kit
or
depending on your PSU there might be aftermarket cable replacement kits that would work. Cablemod's the most well known, but a few companies sell their own. For example you can buy sleeved corsairs;
https://www.amazon.ca/Corsair-CP-892...sair+cable+kit
or the cablemod equivalent ( https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...B&gclsrc=aw.ds)

Extensions are probably the easiest. Most newer cases have a PSU shroud and you generally don't see SATA, peripheral or molex power cables anymore so the only ones you need to have sleeved for looks are the 24, 4+4 and PCIe cables.
Old December 5, 2018, 11:03 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Hey thanks for those finds!
The phanteks kit is pretty nice but im not sure I want to spend 50$ ( maybe Santa will come through ). Ive been shopping around and your right, Its not really cheaper to make your own extensions. Cheapest option is to just sleeve my psu cables as you said.
As you also mentioned, my case hides everything the only major cables in sight are the 2 8 pin Pcie power cables. Even the 24 pin only really shows about 2 inches... I might just buy some sleeving and shrink wraps.
So could I get away with only buying one size of sleeving? 5/8" im reading is good for standard ATX cables, is that right?