Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 28, 2018, 12:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default anyone here made cases out of wood?

but made them look like they're steel/aluminum?
Old September 28, 2018, 01:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Friendly View Post
but made them look like they're steel/aluminum?
If you want it to look like painted metal it's do-able to a degree by using a good primer and automotive paint.

If you want it to look like actual bare steel/ aluminum that's a lot tougher. The problem is that you've got to have a primer and topcoat that completely hide the woodgrain, and most metallic paints don't 'lay' and catch light quite the same way that metal does. If you're going with a textured surface it's a little easier to hide as highs and lows coupled with some buffing and weathering will really hide the base substrate a lot more. If you're going with a flat surface (such as trying to make a sheet of plywood look like sheet metal) it's much more difficult to get it to work across a large flat surface. In general plastics, non-porous materials and such fake being metal a little better. It can be done with wood but it's much more difficult. Even professionally made plastics that have a metallic surface coating usually look off.

Searching through some costume/cosplay/steampunk forums will find you some good info and tutorials. For example I did some Skyrim armor years ago with EVA Foam and with a combo of texture and paint had it looking pretty metallic as hammered metal, but you can tell just looking at it that it's not 'quite' right and the base texture shows through a bit (but for a few days work it wasn't too bad ).
Old September 29, 2018, 11:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I seem to remember a while back someone was selling a HTPC in which the case was made of wood but didn't look like metal though. I also seem to remember many years ago someone made a case out of wood might be in the builds but I am talking years ago.
Old October 1, 2018, 10:54 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The case that was in the FS thread last year was just stained an Oak color and no real inserts were used to secure the components - just used screws that would fit through the mobo holes(IIRC) The hardest part I had was finding good bits and pieces to attached everything to the wood, depending on the type of wood you use also. I'll shoot you a PM when I get home with the screws and inserts of things with the sizes and thread counts. I used this site to find what I wanted and get ideas and then searched locally to buy them.
https://www.mcmaster.com/standard-threaded-inserts

I made a desk that you would open the top and under it was a full length compartment for your PC but given the layout of my room and wall outlets I opted to not use it and scrapped the underside and kept the top for a flat-top wall mounted desk.
Old October 1, 2018, 11:47 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Why would you go through all the trouble of making a wooden case, and then try to dress it up as metal? Considering how cheap cases are, that's hardly practical. If I had a wooden PC case, I'd want it to look like wood.
Old October 1, 2018, 01:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

because nobody makes the case I want.
Old October 1, 2018, 01:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Friendly View Post
because nobody makes the case I want.
Then make it.. or find a proto company to do it.
Old October 1, 2018, 02:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Or ask our resident 3D printing maniacs coughcoughlowfatcough if maybe it's feasible to be 3D printed in pieces.

Wood sucks for weight at the very least, and getting it to look like metal is a hassle. I'd just stain it if I was going that route.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old October 1, 2018, 04:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Even if it's a situation where you can't get a premade case to match what you want, if you want it to look like metal, go with metal. While there's nothing wrong with a wood case (some can be absolutely impressive such as the FiveWood case https://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/mod...ood-by-cc3e/6/), metal is the best for making a true metal look. If you've never worked with metal before, it's not that hard to learn, and if you're mostly working with mild steel or aluminum, you can even get away without welding if you're willing to braze any seams you want filled, or use a metal putty if you're painting it anyway and are using non-welded joints or fasteners.

The hardest part is if you want multiple angles and getting bends/breaks right. If you were to try to do something like a phanteks evolv, it's much harder than it seems. But if you want a basic box with angle for mounts or light gauge sheet metal, it's very possible with a small amount of tools and planning.
Old January 21, 2019, 01:39 PM
Rookie

Might even try making what you want out of plexy glass. Easier to work with and would be way way less bulky.