Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default anybody use a tube amp?

for their speakers or headphones?
Old July 4, 2019, 05:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

it gives the best sound for guitars ( at least to me it does) the old march heads for guitars were the best because they were tube had allot of depth . I used to have bi/amp preamp and amp all tube for my home system many years ago 1980s and I have to say the depth of sound was allot better to me then the new amps out there its like comprising a digital older song to a lp record the sound to me the lp sound allot better then the digital. but then again this is just me.
Old July 4, 2019, 07:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have a tube preamp if that counts? It sounds nice with Russian NOS tubes, but it added interference whenever I used my IEMs with it so I removed it from my audio setup
Old July 4, 2019, 07:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

As with Shadowmeph I use a tube amp as my primary guitar amp but I don't use tube for my headphone/sound listening. I'm looking for different things in those two situations though.
i7 8700K @ 4.8GHz | Custom liquid cooling loop | ASUS Maximus X Code | 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200 | ASUS ROG GTX 1080 Ti Strix OC ver. | EX920 512GB, MX100 512GB, MX300 2TB | EVGA Supernova 850W G2 | Meshify C | Mayflower Electronics O2+ODAC, USB sound for mic, Sennheiser PC360 SE | Acer Predator X34, BenQ 21.5" | Windows 10 Pro
Old July 5, 2019, 07:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

tubes are supposed to add a warmth to headphones, so it makes me curious. the Darkvoice is a very popular model and the Schiit Vali 2 and Valhalla 2 are well thought of.
Old July 5, 2019, 07:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
I have a tube preamp if that counts? It sounds nice with Russian NOS tubes, but it added interference whenever I used my IEMs with it so I removed it from my audio setup
Yeah that's part of why I am getting rid of my Bravo V2 despite the sound being nice. Seems a lot of them on the lower end are susceptible to interference.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old July 5, 2019, 04:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah I should probably sell mine as well it's just a desk ornament now lol
Old July 12, 2019, 02:52 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Tube amps and pre-amps. That is nostalgic and I always stop and stare at them whenever I see one. I built tube amps and pre-amps when I was in my teens. Built them from scratch, with point to point soldering. That is my nostalgia and I miss them. They do have a nice rich sound, likely caused by the high 3rd harmonic distortion. Digital amps have very low 3rd harmonic distortion, and thus often seen as true hi-fi. But, I like the sound with the harmonic distortions
Old July 13, 2019, 11:29 PM
Allstar

It's not the third or any odd order harmonics you want, it's the even ones that add the warmth with second being dominant. It is down to circuit topology more than tube or semiconductor doing the amplifying. There are other factors involved for sure, but suffice to say I love glowing bottles for everything except the heat.....which will show up on your power bill one way or the other.....great in the winter when you want heat..not so great in the summer when you want cool.

Edit: Oh.....and there is that life of the device bit. Tubes can live a long time, but transistors properly managed can live longer other factors being equal ie. no manufacturing defects, staying within ratings and such...

Last edited by Valkyrie; July 13, 2019 at 11:54 PM.
Old July 14, 2019, 06:20 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

When it comes to sound, there is always different opinions from different people. I googled and found an agreement with me that the 3rd harmonics gives the "warmth" effect. But, no need to debate here, I'll just accept harmonic distortion produce the warmth, be it 2nd or 3rd.