Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 12, 2019, 02:00 PM
Rookie

Default HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone terribly low

Good Evening all,

I have followed the channel for quite a while on YT, but visited the forums and am wondering if I would be able to find help and possibly a solution/reason as to why this happens.

I recently got the headset and they are great, but one of the main reasons I got the apart from their price to performance was because of the microphone, upon searching most said it had one of the better/bets microphones at this price point or even on a headset (don't quote me on the latter), any who.

Upon receiving the headset I quickly came to realise that my mic volume is incredibly low, and I cannot seem to fix it with whatever I find to be a possible solution. I do not have them plugged into any sound card or external amp, just the rear motherboard ports (side question, what Watt amp/amp is a good fit for these headphones to really allow them to reach their full potential?).

If I go to Control Panel.Ease of Access> Speech Recognition> Set Up microphone>Headset microphone. Therein lies the yellow/green/red bar, green being optimal of course. I cannot get , unless I whistle really loud or raise my voice quite loud. the speech bar to step into the Green/optimal range with talking and a normal level. Would this be becasue I need to run these headsets with an amp or is there is any possible solution to this?? Everyone has to basically turn me up to 200% on Discord and in any scenario it is incredibly low and basically muted.

If anyone has experienced this and found a solution please may you help me out, I really want the mic just to work at a normal, audible level.

Thank you in advance,
I really appreciate it.
Old February 12, 2019, 03:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

First thing I would check is the actual mic volume level in Windows 10. This link, under the Record Your Voice heading has instructions on how to get to the lower level settings in Windows: https://www.windowscentral.com/setti...set-windows-10

On the Levels tab that shows the volume of the mic there is usually also a mic boost checkbox. Turning that on can make a huge difference in volume.

If your volume is up there, and the mic boost is on too and you still get no sound, I'd begin to suspect the mic itself or theic input jack on your motherboard perhaps.

You can also check to make sure you have the latest drivers for your motherboard's on board sound.

I don't think you need an amp for that headset. At 65 ohm impedance I don't think you require an amp, however you will always get more volume with an amp, if you need more volume. Amp doesn't affect mic of course. My PC360s are 50 ohm and I like them better through an amp.
i7 8700K @ 4.8GHz (Swiftech H220) | ASUS Maximus X Code | 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200 | ASUS ROG GTX 1080 Ti Strix OC ver. | EX920 512GB, MX100 512GB, MX300 2TB | EVGA Supernova 850W G2 | Meshify C | Mayflower Electronics O2+ODAC, USB sound for mic, Sennheiser PC360 SE | Acer Predator X34, BenQ 21.5" | Windows 10 Pro
Old February 13, 2019, 02:39 AM
Rookie

I'm not sure if it would be the mic or the input jack because before my previous headies Mic broke it worked just fine. (I understand it can break at any time)

Things to note here though is that in the Playback/Recording tab it does not pic up my headies and headies but rather as speakers, furthermore the soundbar on the right never moves, it just does nothing. Mic volume is at max and unless I turn up the dB I may as well be muted, turning the dB up makes me more audible but brings the background in and a highly pitched hum similar to but not white noise(don't know if there is a specific term for it or it it would still be classified as white noise).

Also, one thing i forgot to mention, and you may see in the screenshot, is that I do not have an enhancements tab.

Last edited by Shrimp; February 13, 2019 at 02:58 AM.
Old February 13, 2019, 04:10 AM
Hall Of Fame

other thing to check is the holes on mic head for dust,lint or grease (hand cream) is blocking the holes.

had this issue on GF cell phone, didn't hear her speak till cleaned mic area
Old February 13, 2019, 04:17 AM
Rookie

OK so I reinstalled my Motherboard audio driver and got the Realtek HD Audio Manager back(which hasn't been there for years), so now I also have the enhancements tab but the only option available is to disable all sound effects, the mic playback volume was at 1, but now I'm not getting any return form the microphone, just noise. So I don't think anything is actually broken I just think I don't have the correct settings enabled to cancel out the constant noise and just have it pick up my voice and cancel out my surroundings
Old February 13, 2019, 04:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

EDIT: more posts before I got this one up. See if this is of any use after what you discovered.

You need to access the Properties button for the mic by selecting the mic and then clicking the Properties button on the lower right. You should then see tabs like in the following screenshot. As you can see my current options don't include the mic boot checkbox I mentioned before.

Name:  mic-properties.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  17.8 KB

You may also find some options under Custom that could be of use. But that again varies based on the sound solution.

I believe the headphones vs speakers in Playback is just because your PC likely has front panel headphone jacks perhaps and you are not using them? A lot of the on board sound systems will detect whether or not something is connected. Windows is just showing you have headphone jacks somewhere but nothing is connected to them. Having your headphones connected to the speaker jacks, say at the back of the PC, is fine.

In the Playback and Recording tabs usually right click and disable any output or input I don't intend to use, just to reduce the chance of Windows or a game getting confused.

And lastly... if you can't resolve the sound level and noise, you might decide you want to invest in a cheap USB sound card just to get USB mic input. I cleans up all static and noise on the mic in most cases. That is what I did as I don't use my on board motherboard sound. Something like this: external USB sound

There are even cheaper ones. I think mine was only $6.
i7 8700K @ 4.8GHz (Swiftech H220) | ASUS Maximus X Code | 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200 | ASUS ROG GTX 1080 Ti Strix OC ver. | EX920 512GB, MX100 512GB, MX300 2TB | EVGA Supernova 850W G2 | Meshify C | Mayflower Electronics O2+ODAC, USB sound for mic, Sennheiser PC360 SE | Acer Predator X34, BenQ 21.5" | Windows 10 Pro

Last edited by Lysrin; February 13, 2019 at 04:28 AM.
Old February 13, 2019, 07:03 AM
Rookie

I seem to have got it, I had it setup at a good level without any noise disturbance , go into Discord and it was all out of whack, but I seemed to have got it fixed, also I found an external USB sound card that you jogged my memory about it so thank you!

Mic doesn't input through the USB sound card xD
Old February 13, 2019, 10:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well that's good. Glad you got things up and running correctly!

Tags
cloudalpha , lowaudio , microphone