View Single Post
Old August 15, 2008, 02:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yeah, I've been dealing with this quite frequently myself. I usually see it as the xp2008 or 2009 virus that I'm sure everyone has seen or heard about. Of course it always has a bunch more crap with it.

So far the best way I've found to remove it is to start the task manager and stop all the offending services, download and run SuperAntiSpyware, while that's going start HijackThis and clean that out. Turn off System Restore and let SAS finish it's thing. I download combofix (I actually download all programs first) to the desktop and when SAS ask's to reboot I let it. Once it's booted into windows I reboot again into safe mode and run Combofix. After that is done I reboot again and run CCleaner to clean out the temp files. Either the virus or the cleaning process usually kills Symantec Antivirus (all our clients run it) so I have to uninstall that and reinstall it. Combofix turns on System Restore after it's done which is a bonus so I don't have to remember :)

I can usually get a machine cleaned out in anywhere from a half hour to an hour max. I even had one case where the virus was blue screening the computer and managed to clean it out no problems.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N