Thread: Case Pics
View Single Post
Old April 1, 2008, 02:07 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithotech View Post
Yep. I don't expect to use it in this system, at least not with that PSU trying to run SLI. MapleStory is a 2D scrolling game, I've tried a number of times to get her into something more 3D, even offered her my WoW account. But all her friends are there, and she likes the cute 2D art more. So I really doubt it'll need dual vid cards before she needs more CPU horsepower.

And yes, I did know Shikatronics was a Canadian company, somewheres back east. That is partially what attracted me to that RAM. It isn't optimal on an AMD system because those ICs have fairly high latency when running 250mhz and up, they are more suited to older Intel systems which may allow you to run cpu and ram at 1:1. They are able to run at very low voltages though, and tighten up to 2-3-3-6 and 2-3-2-6 at 200mhz. Back in their day, they were incredibly expensive, $200+ or nearly $300 for a 2 x 256MB kit. There were several kits that came up on NCIX's eBay store (new and unopened/sealed), and I won two of the auctions at very low prices (iirc under $30 or just over $30 after shippping and taxes). The heatspreaders are very heavy, solid copper, yet this ram doesn't even warm up. They aren't very well matched pairs, and were probably binned only for their rated speeds and timings, one of the sticks is able to run 2-2-2-5 at 200mhz, but none of the other three. Also, a couple of them can go way faster than the other two. However, they gave me very little trouble when setting up and testing them as 4 x 256 at 2T. The few times I pushed them too far and couldn't post, I avoided a cmos clear by removing one pair and then the system would boot and let me make adjustments.

I ended up picking up a few more 2 x 256MB kits of other ram, so I wouldn't have to split the 4x Shika up in the situation of a build that didn't need a gig of ram yet needed dual channel. These other kits are even better ram, very nice CH-5 and TCCD, yet I never got another 4x of the same stuff. Going by my failing memory, I think I still have a few Mushkin (Blacks, Level 1 and Level 2 and some TCCD), and some GeIL TCCD.

We may have fought between each other since I too bought a set of ShikaXram from the NCIX ebay store. If I remember correctly, they were PC4000 2x256Mb.

Great set.