View Single Post
Old October 16, 2008, 10:34 PM
Top Prospect

System spec, with an AC Accelero instead of the thermalright. The current HS may not lend itself to and air duck quiet as easily as the one you posted. I haven't thought about adding a fan controller or ever looked at one, definately something to look into tomorrow.

The points about HDD suspension are appreciated, I probably wouldn't have thought about it first time out. I think the point where the elastic touches a "sharp" metal screw whole is the one that's the problem. Do you figure throwing some electrical/hockey tape in would be a good preventative step?

At the moment I'm only really using one older 500gb sata, might be a maxtor, and you wouldn't be the first to suggest getting a new drive instead of trying to silence the old one. I have the room to place two suspended drives in the remaining 5.25 slots. Which immediately leads to a concern about heat. Hypothetical figures aside if I wanted the three top 5.25 slots "filled" with a CD/DVD and two HDD would arranging them hdd/cd/hdd with the most active drive on the top or the bottom be a definite problem? Not really a huge problem more of a thought exercise.

The psu was the place most have pointed for a future upgrade so specific picks would be useful. Where any spacers are concerned I didn't have any in mind for the first post. The idea was more part of taking a thorough look at anything and everything that can vibrate.

To list the things I'm pretty sure are making the most noise in order of loud/annoy-ness:
CD/DVD eating a disk (almost forgot this one I don't do much with disks)
Stock VGA cooler (which I've already replaced)
Hard drive when it's churning through several oddly spaced read/write cycles
Case fans (antec tricool 120/140 both on low)
CPU cooler (probably, doubt it's louder then case fans but haven't taken the time to isolate them)
HDD just spinning
PSU

Motherboards beeps and whines are all over the place and not exactly the easiest things to quiet. Some sound damping foam is pretty low on the list of steps to I'm running through to quiet things. It's just difficult to find the brands/types I've seen mentioned from anywhere other then broken sites or the states.

Probably missing things to talk about but it's late; be nice while I sleep.