ATI has pulled a rabbit out of their hats today by releasing not only their usual monthly update with the 9.12 WHQL drivers but have also release a hotfix that brings additional functionality to certain series of cards.
While the claimed performance improvements are minimal for single GPU configurations, one of the main highlights is the addition of OpenCL functionality and DirectCompute support for 4800 and 4700 series of cards. Another addition is the compatibility of Crossfire solutions with Eyefinity which is something many people have been waiting for.
All in all, this looks like one heck of a driver release! Jump to the section after the download links for a full breakdown of the fixes and additions in this release.
9.12 drivers can be downloaded HERE
The 9.12 Hotfix can be downloaded HERE
9.12 RELEASE NOTES
ATI Catalyst™ support for DirectCompute 10.1
This release of ATI Catalyst provides full support for DirectCompute 10.1 for the ATI Radeon™ HD 4800 Series, ATI Radeon™ HD 4700 Series for both single card and configurations supporting ATI CrossFireX™ technology.
OpenGL 3.2 extension support
This release of ATI Catalyst provides support for OpenGL 3.2 extension support on the ATI Radeon™ HD 5800 Series, ATI Radeon™ HD 5700 Series, ATI Radeon™ HD 4000 Series, ATI Radeon™ HD 3000 Series and ATI Radeon™ HD 2000 Series GPUs.
The following is a list of OpenGL™ 3.2 features and extensions added in ATI Catalyst 9.12:
- Support for OpenGL Shading Language 1.50.
– BGRA vertex component ordering (GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra).
– Drawing commands allowing modification of the base vertex index (GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex).
– Shader fragment coordinate convention control (GL_ARB_fragment_coord_conventions).
– Provoking vertex control (GL_ARB_provoking_vertex).
– Seamless cube map filtering (GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map).
– Multisampled textures and texture samplers for specific sample locations (GL_ARB_texture_multisample).
– Fragment depth clamping (GL_ARB_depth_clamp).
– Geometry shaders (GL_ARB_geometry_shader4).
– Fence sync objects (GL_ARB_sync).
Highlights of the ATI Catalyst 9.12 driver release for Linux include:
Support for new Linux operating systems
This release of ATI Catalyst driver release for Linux introduces support for the following new operating systems:
RedFlag DT6.0 SP3
SLED and SLES 10SP3
ATI Catalyst Control Center™ – Linux Edition: Displays pages: user interface enhancements
This release of ATI Catalyst driver release for Linux introduces support for a number of new display features found in the ATI Catalyst Control Center – Linux Edition, highlights include:
- CRT/VGA settings
– TV settings
– Component Video settings
– Support for display projectors
– New Size and Position page
– New HDTV page
– New option for “Automatic setting for Size and Position adjustment”
– New image quality settings: “flicker removal” and “S-Video/Composite sharpness”
– New Scaling Options page – new Overscan / Underscan controls
– New custom mode support for 576 modes
– Enables quick display configuration of display projectors
9.12 HOTFIX RELEASE NOTES
Support for the OpenCL™ GPU component of the ATI Stream SDK v2.0
The ATI Catalyst 9.12 hotfix release provides full support for GPU acceleration of OpenCL when used in conjunction with the ATI Stream SDK v2.0. This feature is supported on the ATI Radeon HD 5970 Series, ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series, ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series, ATI Radeon HD 4000 Series and the AMD FireStream™ 9200 Series of products.
For more information about ATI Stream technology and OpenCL, please visit. http://www.amd.com/stream
Support for ATI CrossFireX™ technology on configurations employing ATI Eyefinity technology configurations
The ATI Catalyst 9.12 hotfix release provides support for ATI CrossFireX™ technology on configurations employing ATI Eyefinity technology, allowing users to take advantage of their additional GPUs for increased gaming performance when driving high resolution displays
Supported on the ATI Radeon HD 5970 Series, ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series, and ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
Support for DisplayPort audio
The ATI Catalyst 9.12 hotfix release adds support for DisplayPort audio for DisplayPort panels
Fixes the following issues:
- Resident Evil 5 – Performance drop during the opening cinematic
- Call of Duty Modern Warfare – Negative performance observed with a configuration supporting ATI CrossFireX™ technology when using the thermal scope
- Wheelman – Game freezes while loading the game menu
- Flashing in various OpenGL titles – City of Heroes, Enemy Territories: Quake Wars, and Chronicles of Riddick
- Heaven benchmark (DirectX 9 mode) – Grass flicker and white boarders observed around the edges