Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 8, 2008, 07:29 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default CoolIT Boreas MTEC Chassis Review Comment Thread

Usually I go on and on about a product to start off the comment thread...this time there really isn't much to say other than: WOW.

You can check out the review here: CoolIT Boreas MTEC Chassis Review

ENJOY!!!!

Old September 8, 2008, 08:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Great review Skymtl! The dark side beckons. This makes it easy to give in to temptation.

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old September 8, 2008, 08:33 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Not my review. Thank AkG.
Old September 8, 2008, 09:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Perfect timing AKG. Just when I was shopping for a case for my first W/C review you come out with this. While I can't see myself buying the Boreas I definitely will be able to utilize this review for a deeper scope of this case as it is definitely on my list. Thanks, and good job.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old September 9, 2008, 12:45 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I second your sentiment SKYMTL...WOW.
An indepth and informative review as always AkG. I can't but help wondering what audience this case is targeting but then I remember seeing recently divorced old men cruising the beach in thier new red Porche convertibles. Outstanding case I would love to own but the price...WOW. I see myself buying a used 10,000BTU air conditioner, beer cooler and some pipe benders before I'd ever buy a $800 case but ya know it wouldn't ever look 1/10th as sweet as this. PS did the courrier take away the pallet that massive thing came on?
Old September 9, 2008, 01:47 AM
MVP

My System Specs

unreal (we need a jaw dropping smiley for these moments)

i wonder how the rampage extreme would do in that case with a hand picked, good overclocking cpu/ram combo...

as always, nice review. your thoroughness is refreshing
Old September 9, 2008, 08:40 AM
CoolIT Systems Rep.

Default DAM Right

Well yet again AkG has meticulously analyzed one of our coolers in signature insightful and humorous way... It makes me wish we had more coolers for him to review.. oh wait we do but more on that later /evil laugh.

The Boreas is and will remain our most powerful cooler.. it kicks ass there is no doubt about it but AkG has brought up some seriously good points of improvement that I'll again take directly to the engineering team. But... no one is perfect (these are our mistakes not his) so there are a couple inaccuracies I'd like to clear up.

Packaging: We ship the Boreas chassis exactly as shown but in the original box from Silverstone, not in the Benson boxes shown. Shipping casualties due to poor packaging: zero. Shipping casualties due to unamed courier driving over a box w/ a forklift: 1 but thats another story ;)

MTEC Power: The MTEC Control Center distributes power to the Boreas but this power is retrieved from the 6 pin PCI-e cable only. The additional 4 pin connector used in the review is actually a pass through intended for people who wanted to use the control center with our legacy coolers like the Eliminator and Freezone. To the best of my knowledge.. a 6 pin PCI-e is not limited to 75W. This is not clear in our documentation and will be addressed most likely by removing the extra 4 pin from the cable completely.

So.. those are my two nits. Overall, another excellent and informative review from HWC.

Brrrrr.

Barrolde
Old September 9, 2008, 10:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

$$$$$$$$$$$$

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old September 9, 2008, 11:04 AM
Hall Of Fame

I don't think the PCI-E cable is physically limited to 75W, that's just the PCI-E specifications. Technically, a 4 pin molex can supply 75W (~6A) without much trouble, and it's only got a single 12V line, whereas the PCI-E cable's got two of them. So things are probably okay there.
Old September 9, 2008, 11:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

Great idea.. but a wee bit more than most people are probably willing to drop for something like this.