Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 8, 2008, 05:39 PM
Top Prospect

Default First Watercool - Advice?

Hi all,

I'm going to take my first plunge into watercooling so I'm hoping to get some good advice on how to proceed. I've assembled a parts list that you can hopefully take a look at and make recommendations on or if you see anything that I am missing that I am going to need to pick up. I haven't figured out what kind of case to get either. Is there a good one that is both functional and has the looks?

CPU Block: D-TEK Fuzion V2 with accelerator nozzle kit, 5.5mm nozzle

GPU Block: EK-FC4870X2 CF Nickel

Pump: Laing DDC 3.2 with custom XSPC Premium Laing top

Radiator: Feser X-Changer with aerocool xtreme turbine fans

Tubing: Tygon R-3603 7/16" ID with primochill anti-kink coil

Barb fittings: EK High-Flow fittings

Zip ties

Reservoir/T-Line: Undecided

Coolant: Undecided (Make own with distilled water + additives?)

Is there any sort of tools I can pick up that will help me for modding the chosen case to accomodate all this? Dremmel, hammer, saws, laser beams?

The configuration I'm going to be looking at is cooling the CPU, single-card GPU (though maybe adding a second in the future) and the motherboard (Asus rampage extreme x48 which has a fusion block attached). Any good ideas on where to proceed from here? Thank you!

:help:
Old September 8, 2008, 05:52 PM
F@H

My System Specs

For case modding tools... dremmel is obvious. Hole saws are nice to have. Some jeweler's files also come in handy for cleaning up your cuts (the ones on your case... not the ones on your hands.... :) ).

It's also handy if you can get your hands on a cheap PSU for running the pump during leak testing.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 8, 2008, 05:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

feser is a great rad... but kinda expensive... If you dont already have it yet, get a MCR320, or 2

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old September 8, 2008, 06:39 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
For case modding tools... dremmel is obvious. Hole saws are nice to have. Some jeweler's files also come in handy for cleaning up your cuts (the ones on your case... not the ones on your hands.... :) ).

It's also handy if you can get your hands on a cheap PSU for running the pump during leak testing.
I second the jeweler's files. I wish I had some when I modded my case. I only had a large clunky file and one small one, but not small enough. The dremmel with the right sanding tip will help too.
Tablet - Asus eee Transformer
Wife's Rig - Lenovo Laptop
Old September 8, 2008, 07:20 PM
Top Prospect

Default Reply

Rumour has it that the nozzles for the V2 make it actually perform worse... Well atleast that's what I've heard. Next on the chopping list is the fans and radiator. The Aerocool fans suck, go with some Scythe S-Flexs. The radiator isn't worth it, like the Captain said. Tygon is overrated IMHO, buy some Primochill Primoflex LRT PRO. Get some compression fittings since you appear to want to go all out. Zip ties suck BTW IMO, worm clamps if you're not using compressions.

If you don't like compression fittings, keep the fittings. But if you do want to use compression fittings, make sure you get either the Swiftech Apogee GTZ or the EK Supreme. The Swiftech MCRES-MICRO is a great res, unless ya want something more fancy. If so get an EK Multioption RES of your size. Coolant wise, I'd go with some Feser One. Heard great things...
Old September 8, 2008, 07:47 PM
Allstar

advice since i did my 1st watercooling projet couple weeks ago,

take your time, seriusly take relay your time .... i had the to unplug the computer everynight and do a test fit with pump and stuff without remoming any components, i was also doing sketch of my case layout everynight after 10 days i have deide to pull thing apart and install all the waterblocks

i still wasnt sure of my rad mounting so i was trying all position with cutting anything and when i was finaly decide 3 days after i took out the dremel and install it.

i wanted to go with t-line, memebers here recommended me a reservoir, i have order both of them. and i finlay went with the fill port ... its a pain in the ass to fill but its take less space, and to my taste look cleaner.

heres my worklog

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...g-project.html

DFI LP nF4 Ultra-D / AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7Ghz/ 2*1GB OCZ Gold GX XTC / Sapphire X1950XT / Fortron 450W PSU / 2*Maxtor 80Gb

Old September 8, 2008, 08:25 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd go with Primochill ProLRT tubing and Bitspower fittings, possibly compression ones where they will fit.

Areocool fans? No. Get something like Scythe S-FLEX or Noctua NF-P12.

Go for the Apogee GTZ as well, performs a bit better and IMO looks better.

I wouldn't bother using the Fusion block that comes on the motherboard. I believe it's aluminum and mixing metals is bad. If it's copper, then fine, go for it though I don't know how effective it's really going to be.

For all the stuff though, you're definitely going to need at least a 120.4 radiator, though 2 120.3s would be even better, but then you run into the issue of where to mount them.

I run Feser One in my system and it does the job. Gives it some colour too. It is sticky to clean up though and can stain your clothes/carpet easily I'd think. I don't think it's really caused any tubing discolouration but I can't really tell anyways.