Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 4, 2008, 06:15 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default HD4850

So what to do to my HD4850?

Lets not worry about cost for now, just the best solution to keep my HD4850 cool. Right now I'm leaning towards the EK fullcover block which comes to about $120USD shipped. The DD fullcover block is $130 @ NCIX + taxes/shipping and I don't really think it's worth that much...

And then there's the classic way of a GPU only block + RAM sinks, but I think the tubing to do that would kinda be a bit more difficult and I'd most likely lose my side fan which is needed to keep airflow coming to the GPU IMO. Unless of course I used 90 degree fittings on it.
Old September 5, 2008, 02:16 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Nobody?
Old September 5, 2008, 02:23 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Sorry Bud, I guess some of us missed it...

Full-cover is the best way to go... but I must ask: why water-cooling? Noise issue? Full-blown cooling performance with a voltmod? I'm asking since the 4870s I had both had modified profiles that raised the fan speed to 35% and that took care of the heat problem, even under load.
Old September 5, 2008, 05:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well the 4850 cooler is no where near as efficient as the 4870 one. Anything past 50% fan speed I can hear, but I have a window A/C unit so...

Once winter rolls around, I'd imagine that 50% fan speed is going to be a lot more audible and it only keeps the card just under 80C at load and 60C at idle. I wouldn't say my PC overall is silent though, it's quite audible.

And yeah, I'd probably give the pencil mod a shot. I'm no good with a soldering iron though so I wouldn't be putting VRs and what not.

One more thing, I guess my MCR220 is going to be pushing it a bit with my X3350 (Q9450)? I have push/pull P12s on it though.
Old September 5, 2008, 05:20 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Stupid me; I read 4870...

Well then the block is a viable solution. And don't worry about your mcr-220; it can handle the heat load of both components.