Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 3, 2008, 11:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default SugarJ's 900 Internal WC Project

First off, thanks to those of you who chimed in with advice during my part selection process.

CPU - GTZ, pump - DD CPX-Pro, Rad - Black Ice GT Stealth, other parts as pictured.

Just picked up from NCIX:

Unpacked, ready to start playing:

Oh, I didn't like the propylene tee's I saw, so I made a tee like this:

Look Ma, no hard drive cages!

Now, while I had the rad propped in the 900, I couldn't take pictures and hold the rad up and measure at the same time. Sorry. But I figured out I have to fab some brackets to mount the rad in the front. Fortunately I have some flat stock aluminum left from my last fab project, I'll make some brackets at work tomorrow. But I did get tube lengths sorted out, which led me to this:

Thats a p.o.s. case I use for a test bed sometimes. Figured I could leak test and play a bit before I tear apart the main machine. Oh, and those are the TriCools mounted on the rad while I wait for my red YL's to get back in stock at Petras.

So now I'm at the oh sh** moment, where it's time to fill the loop and turn on the pump to see if it works. More to follow tomorrow.
Old September 4, 2008, 12:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Wait for YL? Why not get some Zalmans? Buy Zalman ZM-F3 120MM Sleeve Bearing Case Fan Black 900/1800RPM 20/34DBA 3PIN Connector

Very good.

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old September 4, 2008, 12:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

I hope you cleaned and rinsed your rad :P Major important step to do before getting everything together.
Old September 4, 2008, 05:24 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

And you're missing tye-wraps on the T-fitting.
Old September 4, 2008, 09:42 AM
F@H

My System Specs

@Cptn: because I want red LED YL fans to replace the blue LED fans in my case. They will be visible from the front of the case like the standard 900 configuration. I do like a bit of bling in my systems.

@enaberif: I poured boiling water through all parts before assembling the loop.

@3.0 Charlie: I know. I ran out of zap straps last night. That's why there's no liquid in the loop yet.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Old September 4, 2008, 10:00 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

It will be interesting to see how the pump will work, with the T-fitting on the Inlet line. I wonder if that won't create a suction inside the line, and some turbulence. You'll know once you start the loop for the leak check.
Old September 4, 2008, 10:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

Shouldn't be any trouble with the coolant that you're using, but apparently the caps on the Koolance fitting are cheap steel and will corrode quickly in a distilled water environment. I would link to the thread, but it's on XS and they've been down for the last day or so. If you ever decide to switch to regular water, just a heads-up.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product! Internal installations are an artform onto themselves. Also interested to hear your impressions of that water pump.
Old September 4, 2008, 12:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
It will be interesting to see how the pump will work, with the T-fitting on the Inlet line. I wonder if that won't create a suction inside the line, and some turbulence. You'll know once you start the loop for the leak check.
If becomes an issue, I can move that tee anywhere. I've got lots of tubing left. Or take it out. I just wanted to have easy access to drain the loop if necessary, and that was close to the lowest part of the loop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Shouldn't be any trouble with the coolant that you're using, but apparently the caps on the Koolance fitting are cheap steel and will corrode quickly in a distilled water environment. I would link to the thread, but it's on XS and they've been down for the last day or so. If you ever decide to switch to regular water, just a heads-up.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product! Internal installations are an artform onto themselves. Also interested to hear your impressions of that water pump.
Thanks for the heads up MpG! I got this pump because to me the 655 looks like it belongs in an aquarium, this one is clean lines, and Martin's Liquid Lab gave it a decent rating. No variable speed, but I think I can run it through a controller if I want. I'll let you know how it goes.

Off to fab some brackets on my lunch.
Old September 4, 2008, 05:24 PM
Banned

nice, o only got 1 harddrive??
Old September 5, 2008, 10:03 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yup, 1 single 500gb drive. With 300gb free. I rarely download any TV or music, I've got a HD-PVR, so it's basicly OS and games and pictures.

Made the brackets yesterday at lunch, went out for dinner with a supplier last night, so no further updates. I'll get it leak testing tonight, and locate and drill holes in my mounting brackets for the rad.