Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 3, 2008, 10:59 AM
Top Prospect

Default iodine deposit in block

I bought a block from a member on this forum that had full of black deposit in the D-TEK v1, i managed to dissolve a bit of it with vinegar and salt, but this is quite slow as it only works when the salt is in direct contact with the metal, but not yet dissolved in the vinegar. The precipitate was purple. Because of this I assume the water addititve he used was that purple stuff, iodine based. How can I get rid of this black residue on the block? I have my friend obtaining me some powerful HCl but that will take a while before he can get it to me.
Old September 3, 2008, 11:25 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd try some of that CLR stuff, available at CDN Tire. But make sure you rinse it lots afterwards, not sure if it will eat your tubing.
Old September 3, 2008, 11:33 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I do not think that a strong acid will dissolve iodine any better than plain water but it has been a long time since I studied chemistry. Have you tried rubbing alcohol? That is the solvent used to make most medical iodine products.
Old September 3, 2008, 01:48 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Nitric acid to clean copper.
Old September 3, 2008, 03:12 PM

If you can't get it off, it's likely it is not impacting thermal performance anyway.
Old September 3, 2008, 10:04 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit View Post
I do not think that a strong acid will dissolve iodine any better than plain water but it has been a long time since I studied chemistry. Have you tried rubbing alcohol? That is the solvent used to make most medical iodine products.
Tried, and nail polish remover. Best thing was vinegar + salt, followed by toothpaste, the others did absolutely nothing, even after soaking in it for 1+ hours!
Old September 3, 2008, 10:05 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus@ncix.com View Post
If you can't get it off, it's likely it is not impacting thermal performance anyway.

Got most of it off, but theres still some at the bottom - I'm going to settle for this, do you know if those screws you forgot to send me are metric or SAE?
Old September 4, 2008, 08:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

Iodine is easily soluble in Carbon Tetrachloride , and Chloroform.......'Tinctures' of Iodine are typically 10% iodine in ethanol.

Assuming your block has no acrylic on it , I'd recommend 99% Isopropanol.