Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 31, 2008, 09:48 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Water cooled my 8800GTX, getting artifacts now... help

Ok well I decided to water cool my 8800GTX.
I bought a mcw60-r gpu block and a set of mc8800 ram sinks.

I installed the ram sinks but they refused to stick on, constantly falling off. But noticed that the set also came with some white grease that was much stickier so I used that and it seems to be working. I then installed my mcw60 and booted up.
Everythign goes great untill I hit windows, after about 30 second of being at the desktop (not runnning any games or programs) I get artifacts that look like thin black line going horizontally then my monitor turns off.
When i reboot vista says it recvored from an error witht he nvidia driver.
I load up rivatuner and it says my GPU is at 38c which is alot better than the 60+ it used to be at wiht the stock cooler. Can im wondering if I used to much of that white grease on the memory blocks, would to much grease on the ram chips cause artifacting?
Is that white grease conductive? I think I got some on the PCB by the ram sinks, woudl that cause artifacts in windows? I didnt want to use my artic silver on there as I know that conductive lol.

Any thought on why im getting artifacts even though rivatuner says its running cool.
Old September 1, 2008, 04:05 PM
MVP

was just curious....

when you ripped the cards apart, was there alot of paste on the chip and ram cinks? When I watercooled my cards, there was an excessive amount of paste on the chip, and im pretty sure there was a white substance on the rams kinda like two way tape!!!

I understand the Rivatuner is reading a cool GPU, what if u add excess air to it, like a fan or something just to test if it gets rid of the artifacting? Maybe you do have too much paste on it, not allowing the heat to disapate???
i2600k sandy bridge @ 3.4ghz/ 2x 8800 GTX KO ACS3 PCI-E 630MHZ 768MB 2.0GHZ SLI'd / Raptor 74GB / Antec 1200 Hundred Gaming Case / G.Skill Ripjaws ddr3 1600 cl 8-8-8-24 - 8gigs / evga z68 SLI MOBO / Samsung DVD+RW / Corsair ax850 PSU / 24" Samsung CinkMaster

Cooling:
Swiftech Dual rad
Swiftech Single rad
Swiftech Micro Res
Swiftech Apogee GT Cpu block
Feser One Red Fluid
Old September 2, 2008, 09:59 AM
MVP

get some 99% alcohol and clean all that paste off the pcb.. be neat... it may very well be conductive. it should only be on the chip itself and in small amounts. less is more when it comes to TIM.
Old September 3, 2008, 08:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I agree, make sure the RAM/MOSFET/IO are clean before applying the sinks. Plus get some enzotech sinks if your ones dont stick. They work very well. Also I suspect you need some more airflow over the RAM and MOSFET. Once you've done that you'll have a better idea if the cards running well.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old September 11, 2008, 10:47 PM
Rookie

I use liquid cooling. Sometimes when liquid spills on to the PCB (Printed Circuit Board, i think), it'll give me artifacts. When I clean it off with alcohol, they go away. Give it a shot. It happens, especially when you play with mofset and other ram sinks on your GPU. I used to have a 8800gt with accelero rev 2 and artifacting was pretty common until i cleaned off the PCB nicely.
Old September 11, 2008, 10:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

Some cards use thermal pads for a reason and if you switch them out for thermal paste it may not be able to transfer heat properly.