Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 27, 2008, 12:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default WC Build advice

Well, having finally decided to take a dip into the WC world, I come to the masters, bow my head, and humbly ask for advice.

I hope to do an internal 240 mount similar to B1lk1:
My Antec 900 internal water cooling project

I plan on buying most of my parts through NCIX. I live 10 minutes away from the Langley location, easy to pick up once they transfer the parts from the warehouse.

CPU block: Swiftech GTZ - already purchased.
Rad - Swiftech MCR220QP or Black Ice GT Stealth 240. For some reason the Swiftech is special order at NCIX.
Res - Swiftech micro-res
Radbox - not required, internal mount
Pump - I like the DangerDen CPX-Pro. NCIX.com - Buy Danger Den DDCPX-PRO 12V Water Cooling Pump with Mounting Hardware 1/2IN Chrome Barb Fittings - DD-CPX-PRO In Canada.
Anyone heard anything negative?
Tubing - 7/16" Masterkleer or Swiftech? Prefer something without imprint/labels. Planning on using primochill coils for effect.
Fans - gonna buy some Yate Loons from Petra's.
Fan controller - looking for recommendations.
Coolant - Primochill PC Ice.
Barbs - I like the Primochill 1/2" Ghosts on the Forum sale, but would 7/16" tubing fit over the knurling?

I was also thinking of putting in a T-line with plug near the bottom of the loop in case I need to drain it. Overkill?

Not planning on NB or GPU blocks at this time, I will add them in once I'm comfortable that I know what I'm doing and money permits.

Here's my current aircooled setup.
Old August 27, 2008, 12:16 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I've ordered one of the Scythe 3.5 bay controllers in the hopes that I can daisy chain 3 fans on each channel. The Scythe controllers allow up to 1A per channel which is higher than most other controllers.

I've also ordered one of the same pumps, but haven't used one yet so can't comment on how good it is.

As far as tubing goes... I've always used 1/2" and never had a problem with leaks.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old August 27, 2008, 01:17 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Have a look at my thread. http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...ercooling.html

I think 3/8" tubing is better. Has a great bend radius and didn't kink at all. Takes up less space too. Though I've never used 1/2" tubing since it was my first time. However I'd say avoid the ghost fittings from Primochill. They just don't grab onto the tubing as well as other barbs. I actually had a leak right at my pump with them, though it was leaking from the thread not the tubing. I'm using all Bitspower normal and compression fittings now though. Nice tight seal.

Not sure how your going to fit a fan controller, hard drive and DVD drive in there though along with the rad. Looks like that's gonna be tight.

I think you're definitely going to need to consider doing some better cable management. All those cables sitting in the bottom of the case are taking up valuable space. It looks like you're barely even using any cables for that matter...
Old August 27, 2008, 02:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

Either one of those rads will do for you. If the swiftech is cheaper, go for it, performance is really good a low cost rad. If you do go with the particular model of swiftech you listed, that's the one with the res built in, but since its internal, yes micro-res is a +.

Masterkleer has good tubing, honestly whichever you go for Swiftech or masterkleer, they are both about the same, go with the cheaper one.

Danger Den DDCPX-PRO, haven't heard or seen anything about it, a google search also only brings few pages.

Fan controller, I am awaiting the suggestions too, I am also looking for recommendations.

Yate Loons, tell you and I'm sure Cptn_Vortex will agree with me too, I listened to his advice and went with the Zalman ZM-F3 avail on ncix, I got it for $5.55 a piece, cheap enough, and they perform outstanding. That will be my suggestion, even though the yate loons might be $4.99 at petra's, but the shipping cost will be quite a bit more.

I went with D-tek 1/2" barbs, quite happy with them so far, they tighten very well, and I like the way they put the O rings on them.

Lastly for coolant, I will not say much, I was suggested to Feser One coolant, it looks cool, temps I can't say since my loop isn't all down. I shall let you know.

If you do decide to still order the fans from Petra's, get a MCP355 and a top combo, they have those types of combo's, that looks very similar to the DD pump you linked (with the top installed) and the performance is very close to a D5/MCP655 pump.
Old August 27, 2008, 02:51 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yah, might not fit a fan controller in there. Might skip that with the YL's, hopefully won't need it.

Speaking of leaking from the barb thread, does anyone use plumber's tape on their barbs? (teflon) Good idea, bad idea?

And yes, all the extra cables from my PC P&C 750 are a mess. Bought it prepping for crossfire. There's so many I can't thread them out the back panel and spread them out, though I could get some of them out there. I have an Antec Neo 550w modular I might swap in there if it will run my 4870.

jdrom17, did you take out the 200mm fan at the top of your 900? I remember seeing your build when you posted, (I see I posted in the thread actually), but I really prefer an internal mount rad, I seem to move my system around a fair amount. What I was thinking was to mount 2 red YL's pulling air through the rad and exhausting out the front of the case. Possibly mounting a couple of push fans on the other side of the rad. Reverse the rear case fan so it's pulling air in.

Edit: And for Miggs, Petra's is the only place I've found with Red LED YL's. I've got this theme in mind, see.
Old August 27, 2008, 02:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

Teflon tape doesn't hurt but if you have good threads and good o-rings its never needed.

To properly managed your cables in the 900 take your extra cables and tuck them under the limited space on the bottom hard drive rack.

The Antec 900 is going to be pretty tough to do a GOOD internal mount with.

Your best bet would be to pull both hdd caddies and then use 5.25 hdd adapters to screw them up higher under the optical drive so you could possibly mount your rad on the front of the case.

Fan controller I'd recommend either one of the rheobus from Sunbeam either the 4 or 6 channel which ever tickles your fancy.

Fans? Zalmans are fine. Yate Loons are unknown from ncix and nobody really knows where they come from and the ones from Petras are the known GOOD ones.

7/16" tubing with 1/2" barbs will be perfect and be a good setup tho be prepared to fight a bit to put that tubing over the barbs.
Old August 27, 2008, 02:57 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Teflon tape doesn't hurt but if you have good threads and good o-rings its never needed.

To properly managed your cables in the 900 take your extra cables and tuck them under the limited space on the bottom hard drive rack.

The Antec 900 is going to be pretty tough to do a GOOD internal mount with.

Your best bet would be to pull both hdd caddies and then use 5.25 hdd adapters to screw them up higher under the optical drive so you could possibly mount your rad on the front of the case.
That's what I'm planning to do with the internal mount. That's what B1lk1 did.
I'll try mucking around with my cables again tonight, see if I can get them under the HDD caddy for now. But there's like 7. 2x8pin PCI-E, 1x4 PinATX, 2xmolex, 2xsata. Thanks for the suggestion.

Another edit for Miggs, the MCR220QP has no res, the MCR220-QP-Res is the one that NCIX does have stock on, but is too big to fit where I want it. But if I'd use that one for sure with an external mount and lose the MC-RES.
Old August 27, 2008, 02:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
That's what I'm planning to do with the internal mount. That's what B1lk1 did.
I'll try mucking around with my cables again tonight, see if I can get them under the HDD caddy for now. But there's like 7. 2x8pin PCI-E, 1x4 PinATX, 2xmolex, 2xsata. Thanks for the suggestion.
I have the same power supply and some of those are cables are stiff as hell and extremely difficult to manage at times haha.
Old August 27, 2008, 05:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

Well Sugar, sorry I was mistaken, you are right. That Rad is the one without the pump, my apologies.

As for Fans, yes if you want Red Led fans, sure you could go somewhere else, NCIX doesn't have any very good ones. Where do you plan to mount the rad besides.

Have a look at this thread: 1200 water cooling... starting... I know its a Antec 1200 case, but you can get some very good ideas from it.

Edited it 2 times, I'm popular :p
Old August 27, 2008, 06:49 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Adding a drain is not overkill.
Using 3/8" tubing is great, especially in such a tight internal case.
Do use the Micro-res, you'll thank me. Or if you buy an aftermarket top for the MCP-355 with an integrated res, even better.