Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 26, 2008, 07:42 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Experimental Water Chillers

For those who are excited about extreme cooling and definitely experimental cooling, you might enjoy discussion.

I want to start a debate and discussion on Water Chilling ideas.

For the most part we all know there are 4 main cooling systems we can all use.
- Air Cooling
- Water Cooling
- TEC
- Phase Change

Now by my own definition "Water Chilling" applies to water, TEC, and phase change.

Water must be cooling by a Radiator or rather heat from the water to be removed via a radiator.

TEC can be used on the processor itself or be used to cool the water itself.

My personal favorite, Phase change units can be used in a few different ways to chill water.

Sometime in the near future I want to post a worklog on experimenting with a 5000 BTU window A/C unit to do water chilling. However a good old debate on theory and ideas would be more helpful at this point in time. Surfing the web for hours has just boerd me with other peoples attempts.

SO, A/C unit being used to cool your computer. I can think of a dozen different ways to make it work but what do YOU THINK
Old August 26, 2008, 07:54 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

As soon as the coolant being used drops below ambient room temperature condensation will start to form on the tubing, waterblocks rad etc...
Old August 26, 2008, 08:03 PM
MVP
F@H

I'm not exactly a refrigeration expert but I think this is one way: Get a large bucket or cooler, fill it with coolant, toss in the coils from the A/C unit along with the rad from your watercooling loop.

Just check our XS for some ideas.
Old August 26, 2008, 08:17 PM
Top Prospect

Default Reply

Water-chilling really isn't that efficient I'd just go for phase-change if you plan on going that far. Liquid cooling is usually enough for your daily needs.
Old August 27, 2008, 05:34 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Oh I agree with you all. I just want to slap some ideas out there on what could work.

I don't really want to do it, I just want to experiment with the idea. Hell, Phase change or using anytime of A/C system is more or less like plugging in another fridge or window A/C. Not exactly cheap.

So shoot, got any niffty ideas stuck up in them heads???
Old August 27, 2008, 05:39 PM
MVP
F@H

Get a beer fridge and toss in the rad.
Old August 27, 2008, 06:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

Refrigerators don't work for cooling heat sources, or water that is cooling a heat source.

You can safely buy yourself a few degrees with a water-chiller by setting it's thermostat at ambient temperature, whereas even a good water cooling setup will still have the water a couple degrees above ambient. If you case has good airflow across all the parts close to the chilled water, you can set the chiller a couple degrees below ambient without any fear of condensation.
Old August 27, 2008, 06:59 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Yea, Fridges are not a good idea. Mind you I can see possible methods of turning a fridge into a workable cooling system.

One thing I would like to try AGAIN, is pelter water chilling. I have seen a number of versions, home made and purchased ones that have been modified.
I would like to make one the works along with a standard water cooled system. Cools the coolant after the rads to drop the temp as close or JUST below room temp.
Old August 27, 2008, 07:07 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I just had a thought.

The Peltier water blocks that swiftech sells... Does anyone know if the peltier can be reversed?

I have never gotten the pleasure of closely observing on before. That would be a PERFECT solution for a water chiller. Considering you can simply mount any higher end heatsink to the bottom of the block.

*note
I am assuming that the peltier is 100W give or take. A 250W would just cause any high end heatsink to GLOW with heat.

Last edited by chibi_man; August 27, 2008 at 07:18 PM.
Old August 27, 2008, 07:52 PM
MVP
F@H

Reversed??? What do you mean by "reversed"? Do you mean having a waterblock-TEC-heatsink combo attached to a loop after the rad so that coolant becomes chilled?

Last edited by werty316; August 27, 2008 at 07:59 PM.