Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 30, 2007, 12:26 PM

My System Specs

It has to do with air pressure. The way the blades are on the Noctua fan provide almost no pressure, so when it has restriction added to it like a HSF or a radiator, it just doesn't provide the power to push the air through the fins. A normal 25mm wide fan like a Yate Loon does a much better job at pushing the air through the fins. A 38mm fan does an even better job, however they also are a lot louder of a fan do to the larger motors.

Hope that helps.
Old August 21, 2007, 09:46 AM
Rookie

Shoot, I just got 2 for my radiator. I may just try with these and then swap for my noiseblocker sx2 pro's to see the difference in temps.

But this problem with low pressure also applies to air coolers, right? This means this fan is only good for cases?
Old August 22, 2007, 11:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

Correct. It's the fan equivalent of a water pump with high flow, but no head pressure. My guess is that the abnormally large gap between the outer tips of the blades and the fan frame makes it too easy for air to backflow after encountering resistance (i.e. HSF, rad).

SPCR.com had some issues with this fan awhile back, with their tests giving it straight A's, but a lot of their members quickly coming up with complaints. I have a couple myself, and for open case use, they're quite good.
Old August 28, 2007, 07:17 AM
Rookie

I removed the Noctua's and replaced them with 2 SX2 Pro Noiseblocker (~1550 rpm) and to my suprise temps went up by 2 degrees (along with the noise)!

So, it's safe to say that the noctua's are not that bad for radiators... I'l be placing them back.