Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 16, 2008, 02:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Sorry if this a repeat question(s)

I've finally had a chance to work on my own rig and now I have a couple of questions I just know you guys can answer. I'm ditching my Swiftech H2O-220 kit and Antec 900 case in favour of a Thermaltake Kandalf LSC case (I posted earlier about not being able to install my ToughPower 1200w, stilling feeling stupid over that one!..lol...it fits just fine!...silly me didn't see that tiny lil screw I needed to remove...never mind!).

Anyhow, I got one of ViperJohn's 780i NB WB's (pretty plain looking but the reviews and people I've chatted with that have it say it works GREAT!) My first question is, do I run the loop in to the NB out to CPU or vice versa, which would give me better cooling results? My (somewhat) common sense tells me CPU to NB but I'm still a novice with WC so I don't want to second guess.

Second question, I'm going to be switching to WC'd tri-sli gtx 280's, I'm trying to decide whether to use 1 loop for everything or 2 loops with separate pump and rad for the gpu's. The Kandalf has a triple rad with a pump equal to the MCP 355 in front and I was thinking of using the Switftech 220 rad and MCP355 for the CPU and NB....or??...would I be better to go with 1 loop using the MCP 655 and just the triple case rad.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Old August 16, 2008, 02:58 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I'm too jealous to answer.
Old August 16, 2008, 03:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

You won't see much of a difference either way, but having the coolant flow into the CPU block first will be slightly better. Once you have it on water, an extra degree or two on the NB doesn't really make much difference. Given the choice, I'd rather have the CPU a degree cooler.

As for the multiple loop question, if THIS (or it's silver counterpart) is the system you're looking at, it's pump is going to be nowhere near as powerful as the MCP355. Or it's weaker brother, the MCP350. And with an aftermarket top, either one of those will almost certainly blow the P500 away. While the open-flow rate looks impressive, everything I've been able to gather about this particular pump suggests that it has poor head pressure, and TT seems to have gone out of their way to avoid posting it. And to be honest, if that pump was even on-par with the MCP355, yet drew only 7W like TT claims, watercoolers everywhere would be dry-humping the thing. A CPU and a chipset block, you'll be okay. Three GPU's as well? No. If you absolutely want a single loop, you'll definitely want a stronger pump (MCP355 or MCP655, for example), least the poor flow rates ruin your CPU cooling.
Old August 16, 2008, 04:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ok, so at least I'm on the right track then, I have an MCP 355 that I had planned on using to replace the TT pump, I too was not convinced of the head pressure. Somehow I think if I go a single loop even the 355 wouldn't cut it and that the 655 would do the job. Thanks and keep the feedback coming, the more I learn now the fewer mistakes I make on final decision

P.S. Sweetard?...sorry if yer jealous but please answer anyway..lol

Old August 16, 2008, 04:35 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

If I had your money I'd go dual loops.
Old August 16, 2008, 04:36 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

And a 30" monitor for sure. You are wasting that horsepower on anything less.
Old August 16, 2008, 04:37 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Also, you are going to be cpu bound anyways with those 3 280's
Old August 16, 2008, 05:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

First?...I'm far from rich!...I've been lucky enough to get a few "deals" on the items I have and I'm just taking advantage of the upgrades I can.
Second, I plan on using my 42" lcd with this beast.
Last, I'd be pretty bound by any cpu currently available, however, I will truly be future proof for awhile...I hope...lol

Old August 16, 2008, 06:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

Make sure you use Thermaltake's fluid for that. In keeping with TT's policy of not providing important information, I can't find the material used for that case's radiator, which gives good odds of it being aluminum, which means that you NEED anti-corrosive protection in your loop. There are other fluid that would work too, but TT might be pricks if you ever tried to warranty corrosion down the road and you weren't using their fluid.

Using an aftermarket top, a MCP355 will usually edge out the MCP655, especially in very restrictive loops, and even with a CPU block, a NB block, and a CPU block, you should still be able to keep things above the 1 gallon/minute mark. (It'll be close, though)