Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 11, 2008, 06:57 AM
MVP
F@H

Question Is this a safe configuration for my pump and HDD?

Clearly I am new to watercooling, but I am in the process of setting up a loop. I'm doing it in a very cramped Antec P180. This is how is have my pump installed:

It's in the bottom hard drive cage. Normally that is where I have my hard drive installed, so I would like to keep it there. In fact, I have to keep it there! I've used the upper hdd cage for something else in this project, so I have no choice. I left enough room while mounting the pump for my hdd but I was wondering if the vibration from the pump is going to affect it? I have yet to turn this pump on so I have no idea how much it's going to move, so perhaps I'm just being way too cautious. But if I install the hdd like so:

Will my hdd be alright there? If not I will have to come up with something else, but I'm thinking if I mount the hdd properly in that cage then it shouldn't be an issue. I can't see that pump being that violent...Thanks for any input!

WC Loop: D-Tek Fuzion V2 // Danger Den Maze 5 // Swiftech MCP655 // Swiftech MicroRes // Thermochill PA 120.2 + 4 x Noctua NF-P12
Old July 11, 2008, 07:06 AM
Hall Of Fame

Shouldn't be any trouble, assuming that you're using the case soft mounts for the hard drive as well. Another piece of foam underneath the pump wouldn't hurt, though. Those D5's are pretty decent for motor noise, but they'll take any excuse to start vibrating your case.
Old July 11, 2008, 07:21 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

The man is right, make sure the pump is making as little contact with the framework as is possible while still keeping it in position, and it should be just fine, I really cant see it vibrating enough to cause any damage to the harddrive, but noise is never pleasant.
Old July 11, 2008, 08:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

For my first watercooling rig in an Antec P182, I put the pump there.. It was not secured down at all, just... there as I stuffed it in there when I was putting together my system.
My system was all fine, it all worked perfectly, and best of all, it was silent and I couldn't feel the vibrations. From what you have in the pics, you have it mounted down, so it shouldn't be a problem.
Old July 11, 2008, 08:31 AM
Top Prospect

don't glue the pump down before plumbing your loop...If you're using 7/16" ID tubing, you'll find it useful to move the pump a little bit as it's really tight fit with that tubing so the more room to work with the better.
Old July 11, 2008, 01:01 PM
MVP
F@H

Thanks for the info folks. In hindsight I would never have chosen this case, and not just because of this loop. I've made some cuts to the case that will allow me much easier plumping...hopefully it will all be completed by the end of the weekend, I want to get back to folding!

WC Loop: D-Tek Fuzion V2 // Danger Den Maze 5 // Swiftech MCP655 // Swiftech MicroRes // Thermochill PA 120.2 + 4 x Noctua NF-P12