Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 2, 2008, 04:08 PM
Allstar

Lightbulb i wanna get my feet wet

im ready to jump into the water and have my feet wet.

i wanna watercool the following :

AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.8Ghz
2x1gb OCZ Gold GX XTC DDR500
Sapphire X1950XT 256Mb
Corsair HX620W
2x 80Gb raid 0
Thermaltake Armor Aluminium full tower case
3x 120mm FM121 Silverstonetek
Sunbeam Fan controller

for the watercooling parts :

i wanna have something that will be future proof, when BF3 or whatever it will be called on PC will be release i will upgrade my current rig the something that will allow to run the brand new game like a charm. cpu will need to fit S775 + am2 for future upgrade. GPu block will have to fit next gpu generation which is 4800 series

CPU Block :

i was looking for the Fuzion V2 CPU block wicth seems to be the best cpu block right now. i

GPU Block :

i have no idea, Fuzion GPU seems to be very restrictive and i dont wanna cut my flow for a GPU block. i want to have something that will fit the future video card which could be a 4850.

Pump:

i was looking @ the swiftech MCP655 or the MCP355 ( could add petra's top for more performance)

Reservoir :

i found those ugly and was looking to go with a fillport.

Rad:

i dont know if i go 360 or 240, if im going 240 i want to be sure that the rad could handle the extra heat of a future quad + video card (maybe 2)

i was looking at the PA120.2 or the Feser Xchanger 240 (both rather expensive rad)

on the other side i have the swiftech 240 with buildin res. or any 360rad that is cheaper then the PA120.2

bit confuse about the rad.

i already have 2x 120mm fan mount in front of my case. i could mount it there and use those fan or mount it external with a rad box.

if im mounting it infront of my case i will have to mod/relocated my HDD and it could put extra heat in the case

if im mounting it at the back with a rad box i need 2 or 3 extra fan but less work to do.

what is your idea/suggestion for me?

DFI LP nF4 Ultra-D / AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7Ghz/ 2*1GB OCZ Gold GX XTC / Sapphire X1950XT / Fortron 450W PSU / 2*Maxtor 80Gb

Old July 2, 2008, 04:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My advice is to get good gear that will last. Either a PA120.2 (or 120.3 if you want more cooling) or Feser equivalent.

My MCP655s are both very effective, though perhaps not the most beautiful. Fillport with a T-Line is a good option and will take up less space... I also recommend that, if you're going to be changing out components, you build in a drain line.

I have two 120.2 rads, one in the front drive area and one on the back on a radbox. It fits nicely and then I have the fans blowing out instead of into the case, so my case has negative pressure and I left the side intake fan off so I get passive intake, but it's fine for temps.

I read that the new Fuzion GPU has addressed the flow issue, so that might be a good option. EK Waterblocks has also just come out with a new GPU block.
Old July 2, 2008, 05:03 PM

My System Specs

I agree with buying components to last, perform well, and enjoy. My suggestions:

The MCR320 is a damn good radiator for the price, MartinM210 did a review on one the other day on XS, and it performs extremely well for the price.
Swiftech MCR320 testing results - XtremeSystems Forums

I am far from a fan of radboxes, but if you can't fit it internally I would still suggest grabbing the MCR320 and using a radbox.

As for the GPU blocks. I've used both the Fuzion GFX (first gen one) and the MCW60s. And the MCW60s are definitely better blocks because of the lack of restriction.

I've done likely 10 different WC loops over the past 5 years and I HIGHLY suuggest using a reservoir. The time spent bleeding is significantly dropped, thus causing less headaches. You could always get a MCP355 and use one of the reservoir tops available for it. I bought a nice EK one from jab-tech and it looks stylish IMO.
Old July 2, 2008, 05:54 PM
Allstar

any link to the 355 with top rad on it?

wasnt sure to get the PA120.2 or the MCR240 or even the 320. i will have to read a bit more about those rad

i dont like the idea of reservoir, i found those ugly and way to big to hide in a case.

DFI LP nF4 Ultra-D / AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7Ghz/ 2*1GB OCZ Gold GX XTC / Sapphire X1950XT / Fortron 450W PSU / 2*Maxtor 80Gb

Old July 2, 2008, 06:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have a drivebay res and a swiftech microres. Both fit ok inside my case, and fairly unobtrusive.
Old July 2, 2008, 06:44 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebdoradz View Post
any link to the 355 with top rad on it?

wasnt sure to get the PA120.2 or the MCR240 or even the 320. i will have to read a bit more about those rad

i dont like the idea of reservoir, i found those ugly and way to big to hide in a case.
EK Waterblocks - EK-DDC X-RES 140
Old July 2, 2008, 06:46 PM
Allstar

ok, so my part list could look like this

MCR320RAD or PA120.2 or Feser xchanger 240?!??!? which one is the best in the 3
MCP655 pump or MCP355 with petra's top?
Fuzion V2 cpu block
Swiftech MCW60 gpu block
Dangerden fillport
dangerdan fillport reservoir http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...e=Danger%20Den
7/16'' tubing 10ft
3 x fan ?!?!?!? was looking at the FM121 from sylverstonetek 121cfm @ 12V hooking them up on my fan controler could give me a nice range of performance

any other input??? if i get a 360 rad it will go external but if i get a 240 i could fit it internal ??? which would be the best??

Old July 2, 2008, 06:46 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I've done likely 10 different WC loops over the past 5 years and I HIGHLY suggest using a reservoir. The time spent bleeding is significantly dropped, thus causing less headaches. You could always get a MCP355 and use one of the reservoir tops available for it. I bought a nice EK one from jab-tech and it looks stylish IMO.
I agree. Definitely a worthwhile investment.

Old July 2, 2008, 09:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebdoradz View Post
ok, so my part list could look like this

MCR320RAD or PA120.2 or Feser xchanger 240?!??!? which one is the best in the 3
MCP655 pump or MCP355 with petra's top?
Fuzion V2 cpu block
Swiftech MCW60 gpu block
Dangerden fillport
dangerdan fillport reservoir http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...e=Danger%20Den
7/16'' tubing 10ft
3 x fan ?!?!?!? was looking at the FM121 from sylverstonetek 121cfm @ 12V hooking them up on my fan controler could give me a nice range of performance

any other input??? if i get a 360 rad it will go external but if i get a 240 i could fit it internal ??? which would be the best??
Depends what you want to have in the loop. If you want the CPU and GPU, then you could probably do that with the 120.2 or the Feser (I've read that those really are the two best performers around). As I said, I have the Armor and the 120.2 fits nicely in the front drivebays (don't you have the HDD cage that goes beside the PSU anyway?). Then you could always add a second loop later if you want to go Crossfire or SLI or bring in the NB/Mosfets/SB. Again, I'm not the most experienced at this stuff, but I did a lot of research recently and read a lot and my WC build grew from a single to a double loop with all the MB under water and the GPUs as well.
Old July 3, 2008, 04:07 AM
Allstar

well i wanted to put both cpu and GPU in the loop.

since you have the same case has me, could you post pics or refer me to some pics of your watercooled rig? i want to see how you route tubing, where you mount the pump and all.

are you running single are dual loop??