Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 24, 2008, 07:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default Parts Question

I am looking to come back to water cooling, so I need some help/advice.

I used to have an AMD64 system I watercooled. Parts remaining from those I still have are:

DD12V-D5 Pump Variable Speed by Laing
Swiftech Apogee GT
Hose Clamps
Radiator (can't remember which one I bought) but I believe it maybe a Black Ice Pro 2
I had a fill port, but looking to go for a resorvoir this time.

Now I will be cooling an E8400 with it, so I'm not sure if I'll need a new rad or not, this one has been sitting it dust for over an year now, some fins are bent but it looks usable. I am planning to buy maybe 2, definitely one 4870 card. I don't think I will be cooling it.
I need tubing (about 8-10 feet should be perfect). a resorvoir, not sure what else. Oh I also have a T line I used for my from my fillport to rad and pump.
Chassis is a custom made voodoo pc designed Lian Li chassis, I just need a descent camera for pics.

Just need suggestions on tubing size and res, I also saw that how to of bowing the swiftech cpu block, now the other ring that was used, does it come with the block or where do I get it from.
Old June 24, 2008, 07:26 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

The BIP2 will be plenty for the E8400. Those chips don't need the big rads. Tubing size? I personally swear by 3/8". I've done many 1/2" jobs, and I don't believe that 1-2C difference are worth the hassle of using 1/2" hoses. 3/8" are smaller and allow tighter bends.

Reservoir? Most definitely. The Swiftech Micro-Res is my #1 choice.
Old June 24, 2008, 09:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
The BIP2 will be plenty for the E8400. Those chips don't need the big rads. Tubing size? I personally swear by 3/8". I've done many 1/2" jobs, and I don't believe that 1-2C difference are worth the hassle of using 1/2" hoses. 3/8" are smaller and allow tighter bends.

Reservoir? Most definitely. The Swiftech Micro-Res is my #1 choice.
Alpha to Charlie, 10-4 .. Honestly, first I was looking to get a new rad, but when I was making this thread, it almost hit my head, it should be enough.

As for the tubing you suggest 3/8" sure, never used it before, but won't be too difficult. And as for the res, definitely the one I had in mind. Now I just need to clean my chassis up, get sort of a drawing, I like it so much since it already has space for a 2x120mm rad ready, and the perfect holes for the tubing too..
Old June 24, 2008, 10:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

One little reminder if your going to get 3/8" tubing.. Just remember to get the right barbs, I used 3/8" tubing and 1/2" barbs for my first water cooling setup. A couple months later, disaster struck.. Just make sure the tubing goes down all the way..
Old June 25, 2008, 10:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
One little reminder if your going to get 3/8" tubing.. Just remember to get the right barbs, I used 3/8" tubing and 1/2" barbs for my first water cooling setup. A couple months later, disaster struck.. Just make sure the tubing goes down all the way..
Ah great, thanks for reminding, the pump I have only works with 1/2" tubing and rad too.
Old June 25, 2008, 11:04 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah I think you should just stick with 1/2" tubing, otherwise you either need a new pump or have to modify yours.

If you want to drop a few degrees on your CPU, you could get a D-TEK FuZion v2.
Old June 25, 2008, 11:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

you can use 3/8 tubing and 1/2 barbs but make sure they go all the way in, and USE clamps at minimum. I prefer metal worm clamps, the one you get at a hardware store. Once they are relly tightened, nothing is going to move in there. If you do use those clamp, never use them on plastic barbs or T, you are going to destroy them.

also, another vote for swiftech, they are the best quality/price relationship for the pump you have.

I you want some bling for the res, take a look at the xspc res :

XSPC - Performance PC Cooling, altough you'll have yo install them out of the box....

finally, if you ever want to go x-fire with the 4870, I am not sure a 2x120 rad will do the job.

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old June 25, 2008, 11:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

7/16" ID tubing with 1/2 barbs = sweetness.
Old June 25, 2008, 11:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

I opened my case up to see if the case holes will take 1/2" tubing, I guess it did.
What do you think about these or should I just go for the regular worm clamps which I already have.

And as promised here ar some pics of the case, sorry they are a little blurry, I don't have a descent camera. Look at pic 3 that is where the tubes will come from, and the next image is where the rad mounts, and the last image is where the rad fits in the plastic thing and then I thumb screw it in the red placing where the rad mounts. Still haven't figured where the pump and res will mount.

Old June 25, 2008, 12:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Time for a new camera...

I guess that's the Voodoo Omen? Couldn't you put the pump and res in the front (behind the fancy fan grill type thing)? Seems like just empty space up there.

EDIT: Oh, the rad mount there? Well if that's the case, maybe stick the pump in one of the hard drive bays and stick the res in one of the 5.25" bays.