Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 20, 2008, 12:59 PM
Top Prospect

Default delta distance : (fan to rad) && (fan to grill)

How far do fans have to be from a rad or from a mesh grill to perform optimally (i.e comming close to within 5% of their performance in open air). My rad and fans are in a cramped case and I need to know the optimum distance. If you put a fan directly on a rad it will do pretty poorly (i.e seen this in a review somewhere). The GTX360 rad has about 1/8th of space from the rad to the fan surface. The same goes with mounting fans onto case grills. Right now I have exactly 1 inch between a fan and a given surface (i.e 1 inch radiator shroud).

Really appreciating this in advance..
Old June 20, 2008, 01:10 PM
Top Prospect

According a post on SPCR, with fans pulling through the rad, the fan should be about 1 hub diameter from the rad. With the fan pushing, this goes up to 5.
Old June 20, 2008, 01:13 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I would say an inch or so, thats why shrouds are this size. :)
Old June 20, 2008, 01:24 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitos View Post
According a post on SPCR, with fans pulling through the rad, the fan should be about 1 hub diameter from the rad. With the fan pushing, this goes up to 5.
Link please, 5 hub diameters?! Isn't that like 5 inches?! What is this based on, it sounds absolutely ridiculous! (but plausible)
Old June 20, 2008, 02:01 PM
Top Prospect

I agree that 5 is kind of big. I would assume this is based on how long it takes the turbulence at the fan blades takes to "spread" to the deadspot, so the entire air column in front of the fan is moving...I have no idea if the guy who posted this had any proof or made those up...but hey, it's a sticky on SPCR that's gotta be worth something haha :P
Old June 20, 2008, 03:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

most import that the shroud is sealed @ the rad, the 5 # for turbulance to happen for squeazing the most of cooling
Old June 20, 2008, 08:16 PM
Top Prospect

I'm sure the graph for performance vs distance is non-linear, you could go from 0.125 to 0.25 and get a huge improvement, and then go from 1.5 to 2.5 and barely see an improvement (maybe even a decrease)
Old June 20, 2008, 09:30 PM
Misoprostol

Shrouds have been shown time and time again to offer very little in terms of real world performance benefit.
Old June 21, 2008, 10:25 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misoprostol View Post
Shrouds have been shown time and time again to offer very little in terms of real world performance benefit.
Could you source that please? I would really like to learn about it.
Old June 23, 2008, 12:30 PM
Misoprostol

Hmmm... Can't find the links anymore for the testing done at XS, but one of the users at Overclocking.net seems to think it makes a 2-3C difference. That's more than any other results I've seen, but like I said, I can't find the other results.

It could just be that I'm wrong.