Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 19, 2008, 07:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Need Help in Deciding Swiftech or Thermochill

Okay basically this is my setup right now its the vortex solution with a little spice of Noctua fans

Basically im gonna take 2 fans outta the back of the Mcr-220 and put it in a pull config as that seems to be the consensus as the best application anyways ill have 3 Noctua fans to put on as i already bought 1 extra anyways so keeping that in mind as the fans being used. Im gonna be cooling my video card and cpu only in the future sad to say might have to go intel this time around so and probbaly will put on more stuff on my loop so which one would yu guys recommend

Thermochill Pa 120.3 say if i can get it for 100 bucks
or
Swiftech Mcr-320 if i can get it for 40 bucks

Now i know the Thermochill has low pressure drop i dont know how it compares to the swiftech one the swiftech one also weighs less so would make it push less down on the top of my case.

If i do buy the Thermochill do you guys use the shroud i think gathering from other users if using lower cfm fans it might be better to use the shroud but i dont know how much performance that would gain lol AS you can seee im in need of a project and the bugs hit me so i wanna do what i can as soon as i can.

At the moment im leaning towards the swiftech but im guessin the Thermochill is more future proof

Btw thinking of buying a Coolermaster Cosmos case the one that SSwilson has

Mushkin Ascent Redline 8000 4gb DDR2 @ 1066 5-5-5-15 2.05v
OCZ 600W GameXstream
Seagate 7200.11 500gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb
Antec Spot Cool
Logitech X-230
Samsung 32" 720P HDTV

Coolermaster Cosmos S/
Swiftech Mcp655/ MCR-320-QP/ 6X Noctua NF-P12'S/ Swiftech Apogee GT/ Swiftech Mcw-60/ Swiftech Micro-Res.

Last edited by Dashock; June 19, 2008 at 08:53 AM.
Old June 19, 2008, 04:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Your case already looks like it's bending...

As far as I know, the Thermochill performs way better than the Swiftech so it's probably worth the $100 investment. Though I think you should get a stronger case first.

If you want to lower your temps some more, getting a D-TEK Fuzion v2 would probably shave off a few degrees as well.

I'm no watercooling guru though...
Old June 19, 2008, 04:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

I don't think I quite follow what you're planning to do? You want to get rid of your MCR220 and replace it with a triple rad? You might get slightly lower temps, even with slower fans, but at this point, your weakest component is probably the waterblock.

The Thermochill rads are great, but they're not miracle workers. Unless you're running REALLY slow fans (800rpm or slower), you might be surprised at well the MCR320 does, for quite a bit less money.
Old June 19, 2008, 05:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Alright basically im thinking of getting the Coolermaster Cosmos case the internal rad placement has won me over and looking at SSwilson water cooling log with the case i see its an awesome case unless someone else knows of a different case that will let me mount a triple rad inside im basically gonna redo my loop i will be using the Mcr-220 because it is both my rad and reservoir so im gonna be using that with my loop i think ill probbaly go with the Triple rad. Im just trying to find the best case the coolermaster is 240 anyone else know of a cheaper case that is verrrrrrrrrrry watercooling friendly cheers!
Mushkin Ascent Redline 8000 4gb DDR2 @ 1066 5-5-5-15 2.05v
OCZ 600W GameXstream
Seagate 7200.11 500gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb
Antec Spot Cool
Logitech X-230
Samsung 32" 720P HDTV

Coolermaster Cosmos S/
Swiftech Mcp655/ MCR-320-QP/ 6X Noctua NF-P12'S/ Swiftech Apogee GT/ Swiftech Mcw-60/ Swiftech Micro-Res.