Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 15, 2008, 03:01 PM
Rookie

Default 8800GTS G92 water cooling -- any point/suggestions?

Using EVGA precision and upping my fan to 85% with 800Mhz GPU core, 2Ghz shader, and 2.1Ghz mem I didn't go over 65C (at 100% fan I didn't go over 59C), and it was only moderately stable, so I infer it's not a cooling issue.

I have a corsair TX650w PSU rated for 52A on the 12v rail, so I don't think it's a PSU problem either. My setup runs stable at stock settings.

So I guess I have 2 questions: what do I need to do to get this OC stable, and if it's really not possible, is there any reason to get water cooling because I'd only need it for an even higher OC?

Also, does anyone think it could be a voltage issue at that point of OCing and what I could do to increase the GPU and mem voltages on this card?

Antec P180
Corsair TX650W
EVGA 790i Ultra - P05
2x1GB Patriot Extreme Perf. DDR3-1333 7-7-7-20
E8400 @stock with stock cooler
WesternDigital 320GB SATA
EVGA e-GeForce 8800GTS KO 512MB
Rocketfish 1600dpi wireless laser mouse
22inWide Acer LCD (1680x1050)
WinXP
Old June 15, 2008, 03:16 PM
Top Prospect

Default Reply

I'd only watercool that card if you're planning to watercool the CPU. If it's the GPU alone I'd just settle for an air cooler.
Old June 15, 2008, 03:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

if go with water cooling no need for ear plugs any more.

i use sli 7800gtx's core don't pass 32c loaded idle 29c, i brought 8900 gtx-oc, dam thing won't fit my DFI LP NF4 DR Motherboard sata ports are in the way.

have you checked the T.I.M. job on heatsink of your card

also what memory this card using, it mite be the memory speed is to slow, check the memory manufactor an model off chip
Old June 15, 2008, 03:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

If you're still using the stock cooler, you should seriously look at aftermarket cooling, but I wouldn't expect too much difference between a good aftermarket air cooler and water. Experiences may differ, but once you get the GPU down into the 40's and 50's, a few degrees just doesn't seem to make much difference. At that point, you need to start looking at voltage increases, and that's where water cooling starts to really shine.
Old June 16, 2008, 03:25 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
If you're still using the stock cooler, you should seriously look at aftermarket cooling, but I wouldn't expect too much difference between a good aftermarket air cooler and water. Experiences may differ, but once you get the GPU down into the 40's and 50's, a few degrees just doesn't seem to make much difference. At that point, you need to start looking at voltage increases, and that's where water cooling starts to really shine.
As far as I know 59C is within thermal specs. Also, the card has DDR3 running @ 1942Mhz.

My main point is that if you're getting instant crash when setting the clock to a certain OC and you're staying in thermal spec under full load for an OC, you've reached a ceiling and more than likely need to increase voltage, at which point is the only reason for getting water cooling other than quietness.

The only info I could find about increasing voltage is to modify a BIOS update for the card or doing a hard-mod with solder and wire (no way I'm doing that).
Does anyone have/know of good information for increasing the voltage or any forums threads from anywhere about people who have their experiences described?
Old June 16, 2008, 03:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Keep in mind that it's not always the GPU itself which is causing instability, it's often other components on the board which aren't well cooled by the stock cooling.

My 1950pro is a perfect example of that (vrms) and temps on the GPU of my 8800GTS are well within spec using the presets of my stock cooling when it craps out, but raising the fan speed above the presets moves enough air over the rest of the components to get me over that hump.

Doesn't answer your question of the cost effectiveness of after-market cooling, but something to keep in mind when you're only considering GPU temps.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 16, 2008, 05:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

Sorry, I missed that part about your current load temps. A lot of cards run much hotter, and there are a few G92-based cards which hit well over 100C under load. In such cases, pulling down the temps can improve your overclock, but once you get the temps down below 60, the improvements tend to stop.

As far as Vmods go, I don't think the G92's are very user-friendly in that regards. As I understand it, flashing can't do much to increase the voltages, and pencil mods are basically non-existent. So you're basically looking at breaking out the soldering iron for your card, if you want more.

If you want to peruse this thread, it might give you a good idea of what you're in for if you want to go that route.