Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 4, 2008, 07:39 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Default Freezone Elite Review Comment Thread

The good folks over at CoolIT recently sent us their Freezone Elite CPU cooler to test, torture and see if the hype and buzz surrounding it is deserved. When the dust settled we not only impressed with its cooling abilities buts it ability to keep noise levels low as well. In fact, I liked enough that it I'm not letting go of this bad boy, and it is now listed in my signature!

You can check out my Review of the Freezone Elite here: Freezone Elite

Please use this thread to post all of your questions, comments and suggestions.

Hope You Enjoy It!
AKG

if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer. - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 4, 2008, 09:18 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Great review and great performance. However it's a bit too costly for my liking...
Old June 4, 2008, 09:40 AM
Allstar
F@H

I agree about the manual it is a bit vague about the MTEC hookup.

From the pictures it looks like the fan used is now different from early reviews Ive seen,
(all of which you put to shame here btw) that could be why the noise is better than some have reported.

The front plate, it looks like it glows blue, is there a led back in there?

I almost pulled the trigger on ordering one of these on the weekend, the only thing that stopped me was some other items I wanted to include with the order.
Old June 4, 2008, 09:44 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
The front plate, it looks like it glows blue, is there a led back in there?
I believe so but I think AkG is the best to answer that.
Old June 4, 2008, 11:59 AM

DK2,
thank you for your comments, we all try to bring you the best reviews possible and its always nice when people notice ;)

Both the Pure and Elite have a nice blue glowing logo on the metal front plate, that really does add a bit of Bling to an otherwise boring system. This logo almost lines up with a CM 690's top fan grill, but its close enough that I get a nice eerie glow emanating from there in a darkened room. YMMV but I like it, as its not a in your face blindingly bright glow, just a nice little accent.

if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer. - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 4, 2008, 12:30 PM
CoolIT Systems Rep.

Default HWC impresses again!

Hey Everyone,

As I mentioned in the PURE review thread, I love this site for it's honesty, integrity, thoroughness and Canadian flavour. Thanks AkG and HWC for doing another great review. I dare say it was DAM GOOD. I definately lol'd at "Unicorn Giggles".

After reading this, hopefully you guys are starting to get a feel for our product line. The PURE didn't win any benchmark numbers but it was infinitely quieter than the others. The Elite as you've seen can do it all and the Boreas is well.. big and scary. Yes, you can consider that foreshadowing.

It always kills me when I have a product out for review because I wonder... will they understand this part... will they test in correctly.. will they be able to explain. These are not issues that I have with HWC. They are meticulous in their work and as vendors, we can have confidence that it will be reviewed for what it is sans influence or bias. We put a LOT of work into this (and all) products and its nice to be recognized for it via a thorough review like this. After all, we do it for you.

*One small oversight... Elites can be found from ~349.99 to 449.99 (MSRP) and not 499.99. No ones perfect ;)

Now, if you'll excuse me. I have a usb connection to update in our manual :)

Last edited by barrolde; June 4, 2008 at 02:02 PM. Reason: added pricing info
Old June 4, 2008, 01:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Akg, did you make a special mix of thermal compound "we removed this TIM and used only Arctic Silver MX-2"

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old June 4, 2008, 02:18 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

haha another Freezone owner :)

I also used the MX-2 as I find it to be the best thermal paste out there

The USB hookup gave me cause to think a minute before I figured it out and I also believe you should include a proper USB connector as I had to unplug my 3 extra rear USB ports to accomodate the MTech installation
Many issues I had with the Eliminator were resolved with the Freezone Elite including the use of steel posts rather than cheap aluminum, however including 1 or 2 extra would still be a good idea

I have now owned the Eliminator and still have the Ram Cooler and a USB drink cooler my wife bought me for Christmas lol

PS I am currently running my BOINC client at 100% cpu load on this Q6700 @ 3.3ghz. Tech power and fan power @ 87% temperature @ 39c

CoolIt Rox
Old June 4, 2008, 03:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

Nicely done review, especially how you went over the individual components of the system. Have to give CoolIT props for the fan selection too.

That said, I wouldn't mind if the quad-core had been clocked a little higher, just to make the cooling systems sweat a little more. 3.6GHz is a popular option for those Q6600's, so it's always nice to see hard data on what higher-end cooling systems can handle at that point.
Old June 4, 2008, 03:59 PM

Cptn Vortex...lol...what can I say...typo! & good catch! As usual the only TIM we use is Arctic Cooling MX-2. I'll pass it on to our editor so he can fix it ASAP.