Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 19, 2017, 11:53 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet View Post
It is science. It can't be beaten. You don't have to trust me. Trust Jay who is watercooling for 12 years. Why would he build it if it doesn't work? It isn't like he is lacking fittings or tubing. Someone might be crazy enough to do comparison, but i doubt it. You could do calculations with same perimeters and just change flow trough components. I really don't have time to do this. Ask your professor of physics if you don't want to believe.
This type of aggressive post is not beneficial to the topic.
I've asked a question for input from the community on how a configuration works, I am not attempting to discredit JayzTwoCents
Old November 19, 2017, 12:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashihtaka View Post
I've asked a question for input from the community on how a configuration works, I am not attempting to discredit JayzTwoCents

There is no dead end. And fluid doesn't take the shortest route. It will pass every component. The loop will work, and it will work beautiful. Like Jay said in his video:"It will work just fine. Trust me." It is like putting 3 GPUs in a parallel loop. No one complains about that.There is no need for "Ts" they are in parallel now.
all I'm saying is cpu will not get 100% pump flow to cool cpu

for how set-up shown its convection cool cpu

jay can do all he wants if it works for him that's great nor I discredit JayzTwoCents

i know my 2 "T"s will have cpu 100% pump flow @ cpu and gpu's

read: When loops are in series with one another, they will all see the full system flow rate (because there is only one flow path) and the pressure drop through the loops add together. Because there is only one flow path, the pump must overcome the pressure drop through each consecutive loop as the fluid travels through the system from the supply to the return line.

with parallel need all blocks same pressure drop to get even flows, more restrict of block equals less flow then free flowing block

Last edited by KaptCrunch; November 19, 2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old November 19, 2017, 01:14 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
all I'm saying is cpu will not get 100% pump flow to cool cpu

for how set-up shown its convection cool cpu

jay can do all he wants if it works for him that's great nor I discredit JayzTwoCents

i know my 2 "T"s will have cpu 100% pump flow @ cpu and gpu's

read: When loops are in series with one another, they will all see the full system flow rate (because there is only one flow path) and the pressure drop through the loops add together. Because there is only one flow path, the pump must overcome the pressure drop through each consecutive loop as the fluid travels through the system from the supply to the return line.

with parallel need all blocks same pressure drop to get even flows, more restrict of block equals less flow then free flowing block
Thanks for info Kapt, above response was for user Avet's comment.

Your description makes sense. I might try out both configurations to see if parallel will work for my setup.
I like the clean look, wasn't sure if there were significant performance differences
Old November 19, 2017, 03:07 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashihtaka View Post
I gave you detailed explanation how this loop works. Simplified from the stand point of physics. I didn't mean to be aggressive. Sorry if it turned out like that. If you really want to know why i am confident that this loop will work here is the explanation:

Thermal capacity of the water is so big that it is overkill for the amount of heat that is dissipated into this loop. The flow trough components isn't the determining factor of loop's performance. If you have enough radiator surface, and low enough room temperature (25 degrees C recommended) low flow over the components will not result in drastic temperature differences. Because water can handle way more. Much more important factors are room temperature, fan speed, radiator surface, thermal compound, delidding. Because water will soak all that heat no matter what, but if radiators can't transfer that heat into the room if their surface is small, fans aren't good, or the room temperature is high your component temperatures will rise. Water just doesn't care about the small amount of heat that needs to be moved from component to the radiator. Yes it can affect temps in some situations buy a small amount, but if the rest of the loop (mentioned above) is good it won't make any difference.

Sorry again if i sounded rude. :D
Old November 19, 2017, 03:23 PM
Rookie

Here is an example:

Take NZXT X62 AiO. If you don't delid 7980XE and you have original NZXT fans CPU temps under load will go trough the roof, no matter how fast is pump going. Then delid the CPUput quality thermal paste between IHS and coldpate, put Corsair ML140 fans in push pull on the radiator, blast them to the max rmp, set room temperature to 20 degrees C, and put radiator out of the case, and another fan on VRM just to be sure nothing will get in the way. That way you will eliminate any other restriction to the cooling system. Even with pump on lowest setting CPU will stay in his recommended temperature limit, the same fluid that was in the cooler before, and couldn't cool it, will now easily transfer all that heat because the rest of the components are not restricting it. Fluid can handle pretty much anything if the rest of the components are adequate.

I hope i have shed some light on the subject, and helped you understand.
Old November 19, 2017, 05:07 PM

My System Specs

Flow rate is important to a degree, especially when it comes to a CPU block. Yes radiator frontal surface area is generally what is important, if flow rate is around 1GPM or more through the CPU block. Due to how small the dies are, jet impingement CPU blocks need turbulent flow. Not enough flow rate = less turbulent flow. If you don't have enough flow through the blocks, adding more radiators won't do a thing. A D5 w/ 3 modern blocks in series is around 1GPM or so. Putting the same 3 blocks in parallel and flow rate is going to drop about 1/3 over all three blocks. GPUs don't matter as much as they have a lot of surface area and don't require the turbulent flow. You'll be lucky if you see 1C increase in temps. Hell I run my current GPU block backwards and temps aren't any different. But the CPU temps will absolutely suffer unless you add more pumps. In my case it was about a 5-6 degree increase in temps w/ a stock 8-core E5-2660. At that point you could add 10 more radiators, and the CPU temps will not drop, as there just isn't enough flow through the block to pull heat away fast enough.

Really is a shame that Martin's and Skinnee's websites no longer exist. So much relevant information lost.
Old November 19, 2017, 06:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

LowFat look here some reading material not lost

good basics just not current stuff

Skinnee's on Facebook Skinnee Labs last post feb 2014

looks to be a signoff for DOS attacks or gave up for no info coming down the pipe line over the typhoon reservoir review

Last edited by KaptCrunch; November 20, 2017 at 06:26 AM.