Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 19, 2017, 08:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

SS yours is ok it's OP I have trouble with

just you posted before I finished I edited to OP
Old November 19, 2017, 09:13 AM

My System Specs

CPU blocks generally are more restrictive than GPU block so the CPU block will be getting less flow. For a loop like this you generally want to use two pumps in series and D5s. You cannot use a DDC in a parallel loop like this as you are risking the pump. With a DDC, less resistance = higher pump temperature.

Many many moons ago I had done a dual GPU + CPU parallel loop. CPU temps were a solid 5-6 degrees higher than it would have been if it were in series.
Complete
Forever Alone Complete
Old November 19, 2017, 10:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Attachment 25599

I did a parallel loop between a gpu and CPU in a Haf XB. Temps were fine. These loops work so long as there isn't a large difference in flow between the two (or 3) blocks.
I've done parallel on two and 3 GPUS but never with CPU. Thanks for the idea! I may try this on my new rig :)
Old November 19, 2017, 11:05 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
what I see from OP(edit) pic that the CPU is dead ended for flow takes the shortest route would be the bottom GPU leaving hardly any flow to CPU

the proper way would have 2 "T's" in center of the pci-e slots between cards, making them parallel , the 2 GPU's become one block
There is no dead end. And fluid doesn't take the shortest route. It will pass every component. The loop will work, and it will work beautiful. Like Jay said in his video:"It will work just fine. Trust me." It is like putting 3 GPUs in a parallel loop. No one complains about that.

There is no need for "Ts" they are in parallel now.
Old November 19, 2017, 11:07 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm inclined to say most loops done today, especially ones like this, are more for the show than the performance.

As long as the CPU/GPU aren't overheating and you're getting the clock speeds you want, I don't think a few degrees really matters or if the flow rate is lower to one block compared to another. These chips are all designed to run 80C+.
Old November 19, 2017, 11:21 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
I'm inclined to say most loops done today, especially ones like this, are more for the show than the performance.

As long as the CPU/GPU aren't overheating and you're getting the clock speeds you want, I don't think a few degrees really matters or if the flow rate is lower to one block compared to another. These chips are all designed to run 80C+.
If we take the same conditions (adequate radiator surface, optimal room temperature) i don't see this loop being more than 5 degrees C warmer than the serial loop on max load. That is nothing. Instead of 45 degrees C you will have 50 degrees C. Wow... That is still 30+ degrees C lower than the air.

If you like the looks go for it. There is no reason not to. The only thing i would personally do is set the pump a little bit higher. For example if i would run it at 2 in a serial loop i would run it at 3 now (or PWM equivalent).
Old November 19, 2017, 11:29 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post

Was thinking this. Does not look like there were many temperature tests comparing this type of parallel configuration vs serial so was curious to know if performance is worse in this type of configuration.

Even if liquid is same temperature in overall loop, the blocks receiving slower liquid flow must also be receiving less cooling
Old November 19, 2017, 11:33 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashihtaka View Post
Was thinking this. Does not look like there were many temperature tests comparing this type of parallel configuration vs serial so was curious to know if performance is worse in this type of configuration.

Even if liquid is same temperature in overall loop, the blocks receiving slower liquid flow must also be receiving less cooling
There is a reason for lack of comparisons between these two configurations. It doesn't matter. There are no significant benefits form using one over the other.
Old November 19, 2017, 11:39 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet View Post
There is a reason for lack of comparisons between these two configurations. It doesn't matter. There are no significant benefits form using one over the other.
The reason for testing is evidence.
One cannot just claim they are the same with no backup and expect everyone to believe it. Same as for any other test

Last edited by Ashihtaka; November 19, 2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old November 19, 2017, 11:48 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashihtaka View Post
The reason for testing is evidence.
One cannot just claim they are the same with no backup and expect everyone to believe it. Same as for any other test
It is science. It can't be beaten. You don't have to trust me. Trust Jay who is watercooling for 12 years. Why would he build it if it doesn't work? It isn't like he is lacking fittings or tubing. Someone might be crazy enough to do comparison, but i doubt it. You could do calculations with same perimeters and just change flow trough components. I really don't have time to do this. Ask your professor of physics if you don't want to believe.