Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 17, 2017, 03:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default 1080Ti SLi FC EKWB w Nickel Backplates

Other than finger prints, really like the look of these Nickel backplates. When I replace the RIVE and 3930K over the next few months im going to go out of my way to try and get a CPU or MonoBlock with the nickel plate vs Acetol (certainly not a fan of the acrylic).

The SLi Terminal Block makes installation a lot easier as well as provides additional strength and rigidity to the GPU's (2 of them are very heavy with the full blocks).

Nothing fancy here folks, just a solid Custom Loop (some parts are now 3 yrs old) with RX 480, RX 360 and RX 240 Rads. Flex hose with the additional 2 drains makes this loop pretty low maintenance.....tear aparts are painless.

Thanks for stopping by

Firestrike Extreme: 21.452
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/14167916
MARK 11: 32.530
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/12496075

Introducing me n my OCD to Watercooling, is like taking an Alcoholic to an "all you can drink" Beach Bar in Mexico

Old November 17, 2017, 03:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Looks damn good. I am going to be buying a new CPU block and GPU block while I am in Germany over christmas. Nickel all the way!
Old November 17, 2017, 03:46 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Nice.

So are these the same blocks that you had concerns about compatibility with?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old November 17, 2017, 04:06 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Yup I have those plates on the 980s in my 2nd PC and they're very nice. Light reflects off them quite nicely. I used to rock an XSPC Raystorm CPU block, and the shiny back plate on the top GPU bounced the light around quite well.
Old November 17, 2017, 04:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Nice.

So are these the same blocks that you had concerns about compatibility with?
Thats right Steve....couple of things with these new "1960" model Blocks, they are compatible with a wide range of GTX 1080 / 1080Ti and Titan Pascal.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fc-geforce-gtx-fe-acetal

There is one screw hole on my PCB (Evga GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition) of which there is no threaded mounting stud on the block.
In order to have that screw hole line up to a stud, I would have to get the older FC Titan Pascal Block...BUT that Block has an "additional" threaded stud of which there is no mounting screw on this PCB....so..6 to one half a dozen of the other

I did get a reply back from EK stating that the additional Threaded mounting stud isnt necessary for the new block and colling wont be affected....so far its working fine...both Cards idling around 19c - 20c (room temperature)...still have to test them under load.

On another note. I'll post a pic of a really off machining flaw I found in both my Blocks...a small hole in the copper where it was machined. I actually took the Blocks apart to make sure the hole didnt go thru into the water channel (it doesnt), but goes thru to the Block threaded mounting hole. There is no chance of liquid ingress at all (impossible) and I highly doubt it will affect the Blocks ability to properly cool. But really odd for sure.
EK told me it was a definte flaw and I should RMA the Blocks (back to Daz), but in all honesty, I would suspect the replacement blocks would have the same flaw.....so at this point cant be bothered. I asked Daz to open up a couple of his that he has in stock to verify they also have the flaw....temps are great though...Cards can be overclocked and Boost to 2100 Mhz no problem....load looks like around 36c

Introducing me n my OCD to Watercooling, is like taking an Alcoholic to an "all you can drink" Beach Bar in Mexico

Old November 17, 2017, 04:56 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCD View Post
Looks damn good. I am going to be buying a new CPU block and GPU block while I am in Germany over christmas. Nickel all the way!
I just got my 1080ti block and backplate from Watercool.de and it is awesome. The heatkiller IV is probably the best looking block ever, and performs like crazy. While I really like the look of the ek stuff, I find that the price isn't good enough to entice me away from the German manufacturers. It's just a cut above.

I got the Nickle/plexiglass with the black cover, and the black backplate. I will shoot a few pics this weekend and post them in the watercooling section.

Wish I could get two of them like RJ is rocking :)

Rig is looking awesome btw

Dick Kickem
Old November 17, 2017, 05:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtletrax View Post
I just got my 1080ti block and backplate from Watercool.de and it is awesome. The heatkiller IV is probably the best looking block ever, and performs like crazy. While I really like the look of the ek stuff, I find that the price isn't good enough to entice me away from the German manufacturers. It's just a cut above.

I got the Nickle/plexiglass with the black cover, and the black backplate. I will shoot a few pics this weekend and post them in the watercooling section.

Thanks Turtle....love the WC'ing for sure....I could never go back to Air .....was thinking the Terminal Blocks would be cool in Nickel plating as well and move the lower outlet port to the bottom of the block instead of the sides!!

Last edited by rjbarker; November 17, 2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old November 17, 2017, 05:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtletrax View Post

Which GPU block did you go for? I really like the look of the Aqua one here - https://shop.aquacomputer.de/product...oducts_id=3674

However not as sold on their CPU block. I have a Heatkiller 3 that is nickel plated and will likely get a 4 while I am there. Although looking at the shipping time I may very well go with this guy HEATKILLER® IV for RX Vega 56 & 64 - ACRYL Ni - Watercool Store

Either way it's been a long time since I've upgraded!

RJ what are you planning CPU wise? I am still on the fence between Intel and AMD.
Old November 17, 2017, 05:56 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I went for this bad boy.

HEATKILLER® IV for GTX 1080Ti - ACRYL Ni-Bl - Watercool Shop

I have the Nickle/plexiglass in the chrome top for my 1080's. Awesome performance.

Edit: I have a heatkiller IV CPU waterblock that I just bought the Am4 mount kit for. I will be building that rig this weekend hopefully too. It is Nickle/plexiglass as well. Looks amazing, and I am sure the performance is there too, just haven't used it yet. I would say that is the one place ek does have the advantage is on his mount systems for cpu blocks. Just dead simple

Dick Kickem

Last edited by turtletrax; November 17, 2017 at 06:12 PM.
Old November 17, 2017, 06:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCD View Post
Which GPU block did you go for? I really like the look of the Aqua one here - https://shop.aquacomputer.de/product...oducts_id=3674

However not as sold on their CPU block. I have a Heatkiller 3 that is nickel plated and will likely get a 4 while I am there. Although looking at the shipping time I may very well go with this guy HEATKILLER® IV for RX Vega 56 & 64 - ACRYL Ni - Watercool Store

Either way it's been a long time since I've upgraded!

RJ what are you planning CPU wise? I am still on the fence between Intel and AMD.
Will be Intel for sure....still on the fence between Z370 and X299....if my notification from Egg has the RVIE in stock i "may" go against my better judgement and pull the pin on it along with a 7900X

Im just running a bunch of Benches now and Heaven looping 1440p Ultra Extreme x8 GPU 1 40c GPU 2 39C so looks good ....mild OC on both Cards with AB +75 Core / +250 Memory..no added voltage Both Cards Boost to 2050 with this OC