Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 24, 2017, 07:54 PM
F@H

Default Push-Pull on an AIO?

I finally received my dual box of ML120 fans, replacing the stock one that comes on the VGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 HYBRID GAMING and I'm seeing a few degrees cooler on it if I have the fan speed on it to make.

Currently is is in the push configuration, I was wondering if I would benefit much/if at all if I installed the second ML120 in a pull spot to give me a push-pull or if the effort/temperatures probably won't matter/be noticeable.
Old October 24, 2017, 09:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
I finally received my dual box of ML120 fans, replacing the stock one that comes on the VGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 HYBRID GAMING and I'm seeing a few degrees cooler on it if I have the fan speed on it to make.

Currently is is in the push configuration, I was wondering if I would benefit much/if at all if I installed the second ML120 in a pull spot to give me a push-pull or if the effort/temperatures probably won't matter/be noticeable.
Daz did a video on it; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsh0IB-6ffc and Jayztwocents has one as well.

Depending on the quality of the fans, you'll probably see a few degrees difference, but not a night-day difference in temp. If you're hoping to squeeze every bit of OC out of it or don't have any other use for it, might as well, but you're not really missing out anything drastic.
Old October 25, 2017, 04:40 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I can confirm that from my personal experience too, at least with my CPU AIO. I have run both and at best I only saw a 1-2 degree difference. If you are operating at the very edge of your allowable temps that may matter but it never has in my situation. In the end I reverted back to one good set of fans to save space in the case and ease of installation.

Related, with a single set of fans, I also didn't see much difference between pulling cool air in from outside the case or pulling air through the rad from inside the case to the outside. In the end I have the latter set up just to reduce the amount of dust coming into the case and rad. Yes, I am cooling with slightly warmer air from inside the case but that hasn't had any significant impact on my system performance.

So as FreeKnight said, you will get a slight difference, but IMO it's likely not worth the effort if it makes the install more complicated. I mean push/pull is cool looking though ;)
Old October 25, 2017, 05:45 AM
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeKnight View Post
Daz did a video on it; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsh0IB-6ffc and Jayztwocents has one as well.

Depending on the quality of the fans, you'll probably see a few degrees difference, but not a night-day difference in temp. If you're hoping to squeeze every bit of OC out of it or don't have any other use for it, might as well, but you're not really missing out anything drastic.
Not really trying to push more of an OC just more lower temps a little/tad bit so that the nVidia Turbo Boost doesn't downclock the gpu as much, so I guess that is sort of an OC.

I listened to his video, though Daz does seem to talk more about custom loops which looks to be much larger than the 120mm AIO loop I'm dealing with. I wouldn't be surprised if the 120mm rad is 'slightly underpowered' for the most effective cooling of the 1080 Ti and that's why I am curious if a second fan would help just move more air off the rad itself.
Old October 25, 2017, 12:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Will it help? yes. Will it help MUCH? Not really, about anywhere 1-3 degrees [i]depending[/].

If you can do it easily, do it, but its not worth spending a ton of effort or money on it IMO
Old October 25, 2017, 12:33 PM
F@H

I bought the ML120 as a two pack as it was cheaper per fan to do so than just to buy one. I'd have to see what sort of additional mounting hardware to a rad I may or may not have.
Old October 26, 2017, 06:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ It really depends upon the fin density of the radiator..and of course the type of fans...i found around 3c cooler with push / pull on custom loop with 480 / 360 / 240 mm low density fins.....more importanly make sure your drawing cooler outside air through the Rad into the case!
imo if you have the fans (and a roomy case) why not set up push / pull...especially if you can knock off a few more degrees....

Another week and home from work...tear my Loop apart and get my 1080Ti blocks on, installed and going....like a kid at Christmas!!! been a few years since i got to play with new GPU's

Firestrike Extreme: 21.452
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/14167916
MARK 11: 32.530
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/12496075

Introducing me n my OCD to Watercooling, is like taking an Alcoholic to an "all you can drink" Beach Bar in Mexico

Last edited by rjbarker; October 26, 2017 at 06:06 PM.
Old October 26, 2017, 07:39 PM
F@H

It's in a Shinobi XL, there is quite a bit of space. Right now I have the top fan as intake and using a push across the rad out the back of the case.
Old October 27, 2017, 08:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ As long as your using "outside the case" fresh air across the Rad.....my 900D has a 480 Rad up top (8 fans push pull)....360 Rad and 240 Rad below 5 fans only push....3 x 120mm fans on the front ...YES...thats right 16 120mm Fans ALL as intakes with a single 140mm at the top back as exhaust...positive pressure case...more importantly all me rads have fresh air being blown across the fins...keeping things nice and cool......

My next Board will be a Maximus X Apex (8700K) and I already have my Motherboard Mono Block lined up ;) As I said...if you have the room for the fans go push / pull ;)

Firestrike Extreme: 21.452
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/14167916
MARK 11: 32.530
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/12496075

Introducing me n my OCD to Watercooling, is like taking an Alcoholic to an "all you can drink" Beach Bar in Mexico