Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 4, 2017, 01:38 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Custom Glass Tubing MFN / Vancouver

Anyone know a place in Vancouver that would be able to produce custom length 12mm glass tubing? I want to try and give this a shot for my new rig, and while I have seen a few videos online that are DIY I wouldn't mind just going to an expert for this.

Suggestions?
Old July 5, 2017, 06:06 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I tried glass tubing. Super hard to work with. I ordered mine online. I can dig up the website if you want it was some where in the states.
Old July 6, 2017, 12:57 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Jokester,

Were there some specific issues you had with the glass tubing? Was it too brittle and broke while trying to fit into the fittings, were the ends not consistent enough and didn't fit into the tubings? Other things?

I have found a local supplier that carries stock 12mm boroslyicate (sic) and quartze tubing - two things I am concerned with:

1) How exact is the tubing (from a size/distortion perspective) and how will the manufacture cut it to ensure that it doesn't deform. As an example, when using acrylic tubing, if I had any bends in it too close to the fitting then the end of the tube might have been slightly distorted (from the heat gun) and I couldn't get the tube into the fitting (or at least not without a lot of force). It sounds like this manufacturer that I found has stock 12mm tubing and will just cut and grind the ends (as opposed to torching it to cut it) so it should stay pretty tight to spec

2) The bigger issue is whether or not the tubing is strong enough to survive getting into the fittings - I have had a hell of a time on some of the BP fittings trying to insert the acrylic/petg tubing that I am using to build up the prototype. I try to make sure the ends of the tubes are chamfered and cleaned up after I cut them, and moisten up the tube (and the inner 0-ring on the fitting to help lubricate it) but some fittings are still really tight and I have to apply a lot of force to get the tubing in. I am worried if I have to use the same amount of force on a glass tube (with a wall thickness of 1-1.2mm thick) will it shatter (and cut my hand to shreds at the same time).

B
Old July 7, 2017, 06:13 AM
MVP

My System Specs

It was hard to get into place. The size and fit was great. I was trying to do a straight shot ish. And getting it in to the spot broke a few pieces. Then I got it in and it was all good then one day I reached in to adjust something and my man hands pushed it and cracked it. I tossed it after that.

Last edited by Jokester; July 7, 2017 at 06:20 AM.
Old July 7, 2017, 10:29 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Jokester,

From a purely visual perspective, did you notice any difference between the glass tubing (and potentially acrylic or PETG)? I can imagine that the glass is going to be a lot more brittle, but what I haven't been able to see is how it could look visually. Looking at the specs, PETG and acrylic are something like 97% translucent (or however they spec that) but are more prone to scratching (although that can probably be mitigated by being careful with it).

I know Bitspower has their "Crystal Link" line of hard tubing - it might be a little clearer then standard acrylic (or maybe its just marketing?!?)...

I was interested in the glass tubing from the look and feel, but if you really can't tell the difference then it might not even be worth it (or at least try it once and probably break about half the tubes so back it up with standard acrylic...)