Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 13, 2017, 05:32 PM
Rookie

Default I just don't understand EK

After all these years, they are reintroducing aluminum parts for custom loops. Most AIO include aluminum and in itself is not a big deal, but remember all the growing pains from the aluminum to copper switch back in the day. Parts labeled as copper, but aluminum instead. I just don't see what part of the market they are trying capture - they are cheaper then traditional loops, but more expensive then quite a few AIOs. Why bother with a custom aluminum loop when you can just go with an AIO?

Last edited by Tappindatass; June 13, 2017 at 06:15 PM.
Old June 13, 2017, 07:07 PM
MVP

My System Specs

It's EK nothing to see here move along.

You can't expect anything to be of quality coming from them.
What I don't get is how ppl keep buying from them?
Old June 13, 2017, 10:35 PM
Rookie

Many people buy EK because of aesthetics and ease of use. I personally like the the Supremacy EVO looks and easy of mount (it's not the best mount for optimized thermals, but it's consistent). EKs problem is cheap manufacturing and lack of testing production samples. How do you ship out a GPU block without an out port machined is beyond me. Also, it's always the end users fault when something goes wrong. I simply don't trust them not to ship me a copper block with an aluminum plug, or a CPU block with aluminum jet plate.

Last edited by Tappindatass; June 13, 2017 at 10:40 PM.
Old June 14, 2017, 03:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

also are IPR thieves and the copper isn't 100% pure its an alloy they use tinted copper
Old June 14, 2017, 05:15 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
also are IPR thieves and the copper isn't 100% pure its an alloy they use tinted copper
So THAT is where all the 'pennies' ended up. :P

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 14, 2017, 03:06 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

That sucks. I actually quite like EK products (except for that period when they put a bunch of circles on everything) and have never had any issues with their products. Aluminum is 1/3 the price of copper, but only has 1/2 the thermal conductivity. I may have to go to another brand for my next build.
Old June 14, 2017, 04:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm assuming this is all coming from them introducing those kits that Jayz2cents took a look at.

Frankly, I have no issue with the aluminum and was pleasantly surprised to see the amount of cooling it had for only a 240mm rad cooling both a cpu and gpu. But really the win for something like this is price. Too be honest I would probably grab one if I only had one card. I mean I really don't think you can get both cpu and gpu watercooled for that price by going with copper.
Old June 14, 2017, 07:16 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
I'm assuming this is all coming from them introducing those kits that Jayz2cents took a look at.

Frankly, I have no issue with the aluminum and was pleasantly surprised to see the amount of cooling it had for only a 240mm rad cooling both a cpu and gpu. But really the win for something like this is price. Too be honest I would probably grab one if I only had one card. I mean I really don't think you can get both cpu and gpu watercooled for that price by going with copper.
Until they ship you a copper Supremacy EVO CPU block with an aluminum jet plate in it. Lulz. I don't think there blocks are that bad, it's quality of the manufacturing that's a problem.
Old June 15, 2017, 05:54 AM
MVP

My System Specs

It appears ek is trying to compete with the cheap AIO systems. With the somewhat failure of the predator series I guess they wanted a cheaper solution. But unless their QC has gotten better this won't work out well.
Old June 15, 2017, 09:08 AM
MVP

Assuming the kit is truly well made. And they start selling additional aluminum rads...

This kit + an additional 240 or 360 rad... would be mucho cooling for a relatively low amount of money.