Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 19, 2017, 09:28 PM
Rookie

Default Fans and Radiator mounting

In terms of performance, my favorite fans have always been Gentle Typhoons. However, they are not suitable for every build because of esthetics. I really like the looks of the Corsair ML (Overpriced). My issue comes down to finding a decent PWM fan controllers and or a HUB for 12 fans. Any recommendations? My motherboard has some options, but…

Currently, I am using a CM Cosmos II Case –great case, but I am getting tired of the top mounted radiator. It’s such a pain to bleed with the bards facing down. I thought about moding the roof to have the ports facing up, but not sure I want to put the effort into it. I am thinking about getting a new case, but not sure what decent and affordable these days.
Old April 20, 2017, 10:09 PM
Rookie

Bah, thought I would get one reply. Ok, so who cares about those over priced Corsair fans. I wanted to go with LED fan, but oh well. I am going give NB eloop a try (fits the aesthetic of my build). As far case goes, it's 2017 and who needs drive bays and HD space? The Cosmos II is just too much case for me and, and looking for something a bit smaller. Reviewed some of the cases listed on this site, but seems like a lot of gimmicks. Any suggestions?
Old April 21, 2017, 11:31 PM
Rookie

Thinking about getting the Phantek Evolv tempered glass version. Looks like decent out of the box rad support for a small case and isn't going to crush my desk, if I put it there.
Old April 26, 2017, 09:36 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Tapp,

Not sure if this would be an option for you, but I just bought a Corsair 570x and I will not be using the built in RGB fan controller (and the 3 RGB fans). I was going to try and sell the bundle for $50c - you should look them up on Corsair's site and check them out, as well as the associated hardware (I think it is worth about $150).

Working on my new build, and while I like these fans, their RGB controller doesn't sync with the ASUS ROG RGB system so I am going to go with Silent Wings.

B
Old April 26, 2017, 10:54 AM
Top Prospect

I have 12 PWM Gentle Typhoons (Darkside ones with black blades), but I don't run em all off a single PWM connection. I used a pair of Phobya PWM splitters that support 8 fans each, so I'm running 6 on each one, with one connected to the main CPU fan header and one on the CPU_OPT header. It was impossible to y-split them, so I settled for that. Works damn well, and I only paid about $15 each for the splitters IIRC. I know you mentioned wanting LEDs, but the new Darkside typhoons in black aren't as ugly as the old gray blades. Still not too pretty, but better. Plus being PWM, they throttle down nicely. A dozen of those in a Case Labs pedestal and they're impressively quiet considering the sheer amount of them. FYI.

EDIT: the splitters are molex powered, so I'm not powering them off the motherboard.
Old April 26, 2017, 11:31 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappindatass View Post
Thinking about getting the Phantek Evolv tempered glass version. Looks like decent out of the box rad support for a small case and isn't going to crush my desk, if I put it there.
I have the original Evolv, it's the nicest case I've ever owned. And I've had a Cosmos, TJ-07, 900D and various other high end cases. I'd love to have the TG version but I'm spending all my fun money on 3D printing stuff right now.