Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 17, 2017, 11:26 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Question Core X9 rad location

Looking for some input on the best way to assemble my new build.

• Case: Thermaltake Core X9 - will be adding an acrylic sheet to separate top and bottom sections, like this guy did
  • EX420 Triple Fan Radiator w/3 Phanteks PH-F140XP (256CFM total at full speed)
  • Thermaltake 200mm intake fan (130CFM)
  • D5 Pump/Cylinder res combo
  • EK-FC Titan X Pascal GPU block on 1080 Ti
  • Watercool Heatkiller IV CPU block (Darkside Edition) on 6700K @4.8GHz
I'm struggling with where to put the rad. Exhausting out of the top of the case would probably be best, but then I need to find a way to get more air into the case to maintain positive pressure. The only intake fan on the case is a 200mm fan at the front, which only moves 130CFM, so I'd need to find a way bring more air into the case. I could add intake fans to the top of the case, but then I'd have intake and exaust fans within inches of eachother, and could end up bringing the warm exhaust air right back into the case.

My other thought was to have the rad in the bottom of the case, where it would be isolated from components, as my case mod will effectively split the Core X9 into two cases.

What would you guys do?

Last edited by bjohannes; March 17, 2017 at 01:20 PM.
Old March 17, 2017, 03:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If it has a rear case fan that's all ya need. True positive pressure means you have more air coming in than out. The pressurized air forces it's way out of any other option available and it will find it's way out. The one exhaust fan should be fine man.

That said I would mount the rad on top and have the fans blowing into the case. Lowfat and I run our setups like this and it works fine. Best temps I've ever gotten.

If you click the link mah rig now in my signature I have 12 fans blowing in and 1 blowing out.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old March 17, 2017, 04:23 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
If it has a rear case fan that's all ya need. True positive pressure means you have more air coming in than out. The pressurized air forces it's way out of any other option available and it will find it's way out. The one exhaust fan should be fine man.

That said I would mount the rad on top and have the fans blowing into the case. Lowfat and I run our setups like this and it works fine. Best temps I've ever gotten.

If you click the link mah rig now in my signature I have 12 fans blowing in and 1 blowing out.
Nice, thanks! So you have fans pulling air through your top rad and blowing down onto the GPU/mobo? Does that add much heat to the case?
Old March 17, 2017, 05:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohannes View Post
Nice, thanks! So you have fans pulling air through your top rad and blowing down onto the GPU/mobo? Does that add much heat to the case?
I doesn't add enough heat to worry about and airflow is a good thing on a motherboard. 2 things happen depending on the case. The rad collects most of the dust or the filters get it all. Think like how a car cools itself. Car radiators always pull the coldest air in possible from the front of the car even when it is stopped a fan will engage.

I tried the exhaust out the top method (in push/pull) and compared the temps to pulling air in (push/pull) and my temps were significantly lower on every sensor including mobo temps etc. Lowfat recommended this to me a few years ago and I won't run my system any other way.

Generally speaking the air coming off the rads is quite a bit lower than the actual temps on the cpu and video card. I've never seen higher than 30c in the airflow coming off the rads which is about 10c higher than ambient.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old March 17, 2017, 05:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

FYI (push pull) basically means i have a fan on either side of the rad blowing in the same direction.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old March 17, 2017, 05:38 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
FYI (push pull) basically means i have a fan on either side of the rad blowing in the same direction.
My rad is pretty thin, so I think going push/pull might be overkill. Should I go pull? Or push?
Old March 18, 2017, 06:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I have my monster Corsair 900D set up the same way.....480 Rad up top with push pull 8 x 120mm drawing air in from the top thru rads into the case.....360 side rad same thing....240 rad same thing....3 front 120 fans also forcing air into the case and a single 140mm fan at the top rear for exhaust......so that a total of 16 120mm fans forcing air into the case and a single 140 fan exhausting....I have great temperatures all around...3930K at 4.8 - 4.9 Ghz Max temp under load 70c (LinX and Prime)....780Ti's under full load 35c....

I'm a believer in forcing cool fresh air over my Radiators, why would I want warm air blowing thru my radiators...that simply doesnt make sense ;)

Old March 20, 2017, 05:50 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks guys, gonna put my rad at the top of the case as intake, with the three PH-F140XP's pulling fresh air through the rad.
Old April 1, 2017, 10:57 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Build complete! Ended up going with three Noctua NF-A14 3000rpm fans on the rad. Moves insane air at speed, but silent when turned down.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Last edited by bjohannes; April 1, 2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old April 1, 2017, 03:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Looks good man. Hope the temps are good too!
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.