Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   Scythe HSF any good ? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/748-scythe-hsf-any-good.html)

Jim March 29, 2007 02:39 PM

Scythe HSF any good ?

Unit has lots of heat pipes and mass, big fan ,any reason it shouldn't work well for ocing ?I would be nice to drop 5 - 8 degrees under load , what do you think? Can't afford a water system.
Scythe Ninja Plus REV.B Heatpipe Fanless Heatsink AM2 LGA775 S478 S754 S939 W/ 120MM Fan Adjuster - DirectCanada

Patriote March 29, 2007 04:51 PM

Yes. Thats an excellent CPU cooler. The Zalman 9500 is also a great one.

What cooler do you currently use ?

sswilson March 29, 2007 05:14 PM

This is the one I had a lot of luck with....

Coolermaster Hyper 6+ Copper Alum Heatpipe CPU Heatsink Fan 1800~3600RPM 31.33-72.14CFM 20.6~46.4DBA - DirectCanada

This one's quite popular as well (I'm not sure if there are different versions of it)

Thermaltake CL-P0114 Big Typhoon Copper Alum CPU Heatsinkfan 1300RPM 54.4CFM 16DBA LGA775 S939 - DirectCanada

I'm not familiar with the performance of the one you picked, but if you do some googling you should be able to find some comparisons. (You might have to do a lot of googling to get a feel for how it stacks up against the others)

Jim March 29, 2007 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patriote (Post 4916)
Yes. Thats an excellent CPU cooler. The Zalman 9500 is also a great one.

What cooler do you currently use ?

stock

Patriote March 29, 2007 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim (Post 4921)
stock

Then get the Scythe Ninja Plus.

I never owned either of those posted by sswilson but i know that the Big typhoon is overated. It's not that good from what i could see. I have a friend that has one... And i never saw any Xtreme overclock achieved with it. But i did saw some Xtreme overclock with the Scythe Ninja Plus!

Just my 2 cents! :biggrin:

sswilson March 29, 2007 06:47 PM

If you've seen one in action then I say go for it....... :)

As long as it performs, it's priced better than the other two.

Are there any possible issues with mobo placement from what you've seen Patriote?

Patriote March 29, 2007 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 4927)
If you've seen one in action then I say go for it....... :)

As long as it performs, it's priced better than the other two.

Are there any possible issues with mobo placement from what you've seen Patriote?

Yeah i did :)

Yeah im not saying that it doesn't perform good. It still a 100 time better than the stock cooler lol

With the typhoon or the Scythe ?

sswilson March 29, 2007 08:55 PM

With the scythe.

I know from experience that the Hyper6+ barely fits into my lian-li case so it's important to look at the specs.

I was wondering if there were any issues you'd noticed with the scythe for consideration. (It really bites to get a new toy home only to discover that it doesn't fit..... :) ).

Patriote March 29, 2007 09:00 PM

Yeah better make sure it fits before buying. Go on the home site and search for dimension, weight etc...

lowfat March 29, 2007 09:37 PM

My vote goes for a Noctua NH-U12. It was my last air cooler and it replaced my Tuniq Tower. The NH-U12 was able to handle 1.525Vcore 4GHz on a E6400, which is something i can the Tuniq couldn't do with a low speed fan.