Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 28, 2007, 03:26 PM
Rookie

Default phase change coolers

i'm about to spend off some tax money and go after phase change cooling , i was looking at the VapoChill or Prometeia , either one is gonna run me around a grand +, just looking for some input on both, thanks

MP

VapoChill:
Kit-Tronics.com - VapoChill XE2

Prometeia
Kit-Tronics.com - nVENTIV Mach 2 GT with Enlight 7238 Case
Old March 28, 2007, 03:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Misoprostol would be the best poster to approach with this question.

From what I've seen, he's the "extreme cooling" dude here.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old March 28, 2007, 03:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

If you have the money it sure is the best you can get when your a novice. I remember i read about the Vapochill Lightspeed unit and everything was included in the retail (Insulation stuff, heating elements, manual etc...) package which is good for starters.

If you feel a bit more confident into yourself you could try to watch the "For sale" Threads over at Xtremesystems.org Lots of Phase change unit gets sold over there and at extremely good prices. Sometimes at about 1\3 of the retail price and most of the time they are build by some of the best Phase change unit builders in the world.
- 16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
- Ultra X3 1000 Watt
- Asus Xonar DX 7.1 \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX
- Corsair Vengeance 1300 Gaming Headset
- Crucial M4 SSD 128GB \ WD Caviar Black 1TB
- CoolerMaster 690II Advanced
- Dell UltraSharp 24''
- Noctua NH-D14
Old March 28, 2007, 03:39 PM
Misoprostol

If you're planning to try to cool an overclocked quad core, retail units are not going to be enough for you. I've heard from many guys over on XS and EOC that untuned retail stuff is only good for about -20C and even up into the -10C ranges... You might as well get a custom one built by Kayl, Drewmeister, Chilly1 or one of those guys for that money...
Old March 28, 2007, 03:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misoprostol View Post
If you're planning to try to cool an overclocked quad core, retail units are not going to be enough for you. I've heard from many guys over on XS and EOC that untuned retail stuff is only good for about -20C and even up into the -10C ranges... You might as well get a custom one built by Kayl, Drewmeister, Chilly1 or one of those guys for that money...
Yeah thats what i saw on XS too. And i thought chilly1 was on a "break" for some reasons that i never knew ? I also saw the chilly1 fund thread. Anyway, yeah you probably better getting a custom build unit. You agree with that Misoprostol ?

Quick questiong for you Misoprostol. Did you ever ran a Dice or LN2 run on any processor ? I want to try this sometime in the futur and i might need some help
- Ultra X3 1000 Watt
- Dell UltraSharp 24''
- Noctua NH-D14
Old March 28, 2007, 10:11 PM
Misoprostol

Unfortunately I don't have the space to set up a proper benching lab to do things like that at this time. Maybe once I move out. I already have my water cooling and water chilling crap all over the place. Eventually I'll try it all, but I haven't gotten to LN2 yet. Sorry about that.

And yeah actually Chilly1 was on hiatus from building phase units last I heard. Drewmeister from EOC is a really good guy though. I've dealt with him before, but not for phase units.
Old March 29, 2007, 07:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misoprostol View Post
Unfortunately I don't have the space to set up a proper benching lab to do things like that at this time. Maybe once I move out. I already have my water cooling and water chilling crap all over the place. Eventually I'll try it all, but I haven't gotten to LN2 yet. Sorry about that.

And yeah actually Chilly1 was on hiatus from building phase units last I heard. Drewmeister from EOC is a really good guy though. I've dealt with him before, but not for phase units.
I also have lots of hardware and watercooling stuff lying all around my room. lol

Well, maybe we'll have the chance to experience this sometime soon! BTW: i wonder where i could find some Dice or LN2 ... Any ideas ?

LN2 would probably be way too much expensive but Dice could be the solution.
- Ultra X3 1000 Watt
- Dell UltraSharp 24''
- Noctua NH-D14
Old March 29, 2007, 12:28 PM
Misoprostol

LN2 is about the same price as milk from my understanding of it. I just don't really know where to get it. I could probably get some from my school (UBC), but not large enough quantities for a serious benching session. That and LN2 pots are expensive and/or difficult to make.

I don't know if I'll ever get into LN2, but I have every intention of dropping about 10Gs on some phase kit later on down the road and teaching myself to how to braze and charge/discharge compressors etc.

As far as where to find that stuff... You might try like a lab equipment supplier. They'd be bound to have some. I think you can rent tanks of it on a daily basis...
Old March 29, 2007, 12:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

the best way to get stuff like that is to make friends with a lab tech at a university. I've gotten alot of chemicals that way- Silver plating, Copper plating gear- never LN2 though, but I know I could.

Miso- How much extra performance would you estimate that you might get by spending 10k over say, a thousand dollar kit?
Old March 29, 2007, 03:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

Ok...Um.. Anybody has friends at any universities ?

If i can't find some Dry ice or LN2 i might as well end up getting down the road of Phase change units.
- Ultra X3 1000 Watt
- Dell UltraSharp 24''
- Noctua NH-D14