Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 17, 2016, 12:25 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default noob water cooling question

My 3 year H320 was performing very poorly. I took it apart and the cold plate was covered with crap. I am almost done cleaning it and the rest of the parts and I want to ask, would it work to use Vinegar as the coolant? FYI the cold plate is copper, not nickel plated copper. The Rad is also copper.
Old November 17, 2016, 12:59 PM
Top Prospect

Why would you want to? Lots of guys use vinegar mixes to clean blocks out a bit, but never for coolant. That sounds like a very bad idea.
Old November 17, 2016, 01:18 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Mix 50/50 with distilled water. It would keep the copper clean and the algae dead. If it is a bad idea I want to know why. Why does it sound like a bad idea??
Old November 17, 2016, 02:27 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I found the answer to my question. thx anyway
Old November 17, 2016, 03:08 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

For coolant systems where you have different metals and thus potential for corrosion, just add some universal automotive coolant 10-30% is fine. These coolants have built in biocides and corrosion inhibitors. Different brands have different colours and some are colourless.

Vinegar is a fine choice to clean the loop up. However, if left in the loop, it will cause a minor amount of corrosion as it is a diluted acid (acetic) with a pH of ~2.4. 50/50 it will have a pH of around 4.7 which is still slightly acidic. Eventually, the vinegar will become neutralized and stop doing anything at all. Depending on the mechanism of neutralization, this reaction may also create some chlorides (salts) which will make your fluid conductive and cause yet more corrosion. I'm not sure how acrylic/acetyl/o-rings will hold up with vinegar.

For an all copper loop filled with distilled water, this should be somewhat of a moot point unless there are metal fittings that aren't copper. Is the sludge greenish? There could have been some dissolved oxygen in the loop that cause some oxidation of the copper, or there could be some bacteria in the loop. Automotive coolant is still an excellent additive, cheap and easy to get.
Old November 17, 2016, 05:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

if use automotive coolant use PG (propylene-glycol) for lessor of the 2 poisons EG (Ethylene Glycol)
Old November 17, 2016, 06:09 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input!!!
Old December 28, 2016, 06:31 PM
Rookie

why not just distilled water with a piece of solid silver ? they're very effective as a biocide if placed in the right point in a loop (like a cylindrical res)
Old December 30, 2016, 06:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Why add more metal to a mixed metal loop. Like Dustin pointed out the pH is too low with acid and will corrode your system. Distilled water with biocide works but more importantly keeping the fluid moving works wonders. The white buildup is caused from cheap tubing.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old December 30, 2016, 11:50 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by raziel1981 View Post
why not just distilled water with a piece of solid silver ? they're very effective as a biocide if placed in the right point in a loop (like a cylindrical res)
silver is a waste of time. Just run distilled with a additive from dazmode or use a coolent from EK