Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 17, 2007, 03:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I wonder where Shack's been- hope he didn't fry anything....must be still shacked up with his build.
Old April 24, 2007, 07:27 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHaCK View Post
Hi guys, i'll be putting everything together soonly and i've got a few questions before getting started.

What clamps do you use/prefer ? I'm planning to use worm-drive clamps instead of the plastic ones.(Looks more solid) Comments ?

Are any of you using teflon tape to seal the threads ? I've heard good things about using it to prevent eventual leaks. Comments ?

I've ordered the Hydrx additive from swiftech, was it a good choice ? Is it sticky ? Will it stain the tubes ? I definitely want the liquid to be UV reactive and I thought it was the best option as it also acts as a an anti-algae formula and such.

Thanks in advance!

Here's the setup, i'll upload pics once i receive everything.

Block : Swiftech - Storm rev1
Pump : Swiftech - MCP-655
Rad : Dual-120 Weapon Heatercore w/ shrouds

T-line, DD Fillport and tygon 1/2" ID Tubing, pretty simply eh?

Ah looks like editing the title doesn't work, "WC Build" will be ok. Thanks!

Never, Never use plastic clamps. I once had plastic clamps nearly kill my system. I had so much pressure buildup from my Mag7 that it actually leaked out from around the barb, and slowly emptied my t-line to where it got enough bubbles to lose pressure. When it lost enough pressure, it would stop leaking. Just about the best kind of leak to have, but still not good.

Always use worm-drive clamps.
Old April 24, 2007, 07:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annirak View Post
Never, Never use plastic clamps. I once had plastic clamps nearly kill my system. I had so much pressure buildup from my Mag7 that it actually leaked out from around the barb, and slowly emptied my t-line to where it got enough bubbles to lose pressure. When it lost enough pressure, it would stop leaking. Just about the best kind of leak to have, but still not good.

Always use worm-drive clamps.
Thats the exact problem i had with my last build. Since that time i purchased some wormdrive clamps for my next build. Until that time... i have 2 plastic hose clamps hooked onto each barbs and it does the job correctly.
- 16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
- Ultra X3 1000 Watt
- Asus Xonar DX 7.1 \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX
- Corsair Vengeance 1300 Gaming Headset
- Crucial M4 SSD 128GB \ WD Caviar Black 1TB
- CoolerMaster 690II Advanced
- Dell UltraSharp 24''
- Noctua NH-D14
Old April 24, 2007, 07:35 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
How do you idle at 23?? You must have one cold house- I wouldn't think that it was possible to get lower than 4 or 5 degrees above ambient.
I have idles that low with my new radbox setup (pics coming later). It's due in part to three things: 1) Modern processors idle really cool. 2) modern WC parts are really good 3) motherboard temperature readings are inaccurate.

Consider that a processor running at idle can get down to something like 10W. The thermal resistance of a good radiator with a medium flow fan is somewhere around 0.02C/w, and the swiftech storm's thermal resistance is 0.12C/W.

This leaves you with 10W and 0.14 C/W. which is:
(ambient)+10*.14=(ambient)+1.4C
so in a 20C room, a system idling at 23C seems pretty reasonable.
Old April 24, 2007, 07:45 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annirak View Post
I have idles that low with my new radbox setup (pics coming later). It's due in part to three things: 1) Modern processors idle really cool. 2) modern WC parts are really good 3) motherboard temperature readings are inaccurate.

Consider that a processor running at idle can get down to something like 10W. The thermal resistance of a good radiator with a medium flow fan is somewhere around 0.02C/w, and the swiftech storm's thermal resistance is 0.12C/W.

This leaves you with 10W and 0.14 C/W. which is:
(ambient)+10*.14=(ambient)+1.4C
so in a 20C room, a system idling at 23C seems pretty reasonable.
Yeah that too...

Not sure how you ended up with those results but i know one thing thought. I idle at 23 Degrees! LOL

But yeah the calculation sounds good. And Coretemp actually read temps directly from the Digital Thermal Sensors on each cores of my E6600 which is why it would be accurate.

Quote:
The temperature readings are very accurate as the data is collected from a Digital Thermal Sensor (or DTS) which is located in each individual processing core, near the hottest part. This sensor is digital, which means it doesn't rely on an external circuit located on the motherboard to report temperature, its value is stored in a special register in the processor so any software can access and read it. This eliminates any inaccuracy that can be caused by external motherboard circuits and sensors and then different types of programs trying to read those sensors.
- 16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
- Ultra X3 1000 Watt
- Asus Xonar DX 7.1 \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX
- Corsair Vengeance 1300 Gaming Headset
- Crucial M4 SSD 128GB \ WD Caviar Black 1TB
- CoolerMaster 690II Advanced
- Dell UltraSharp 24''
- Noctua NH-D14