Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 11, 2016, 07:11 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Alphacool Eisbaer 240 CPU Cooler Review Comment Thread

Prebuilt AIO or a potentially complicated custom loop? Alphacool believes we shouldn't have to choose and their Eisbaer 240 combines both under one roof and could blaze a new trail.

Read more here: Alphacool Eisbaer 240 CPU Cooler Review

Old August 15, 2016, 05:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So I get it. Essentially a custom setup, in an AIO with shitty fans.
Funny point to mention, I would consider myself an 'old school' water cooler guy. I loved having the ultra performance of new gear taken to it's limits. I now actually like the AIO's as they are way easier to setup and maintain.. coupled with the fact that overclocking has become a bit 'meh' with boards now basically doing all the work for you. That's a long rant for another time, I just wanted to bring that up as you pointed out the hardcore guys would balk at the idea of running AIO's. I run them because I don't have time to tinker and want it to run with great performance.

For these comparisons, I appreciate you comparing the fans that come stock with the AIO / heatsinks - however as with most 'system tweakers' (whatever we call ourselves these days) the argument could be made that we're going to use our own fans for these units.
I am interested in the performance of the system, not the slow low static pressure fans that come with it. Perhaps in the future could we see an apples to apples approach with the benchmarks, ie - use the same fans in the Corsair and EK AIO to see the difference in the hardware they are presenting?
I personally use Scythe fans for rads I have stocked up from years past when they were affordable and available. I'm not certain what the latest and greats fans out there are to purchase these days (something from Noctua?) but I would be interested in that type of comparison to judge the hardware of what's available. I know it would get harder when we have 1, 2 and 3 fan rads, and the fact that some are 120mm and others 140mm.

Thanks for the review SkyMTL.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old August 31, 2016, 10:18 AM
Top Prospect

I wonder if this unit would be capable of cooling a stock clocked 980ti and i5 4440cpu?
Old August 31, 2016, 02:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footman View Post
I wonder if this unit would be capable of cooling a stock clocked 980ti and i5 4440cpu?
I honestly believe it has more than enough potential. The i5 isn't a smoking hot CPU. There should be enough thermal headroom to do both.
Though I would probably switch out the Fans to something more suited.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old August 31, 2016, 02:29 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
I honestly believe it has more than enough potential. The i5 isn't a smoking hot CPU. There should be enough thermal headroom to do both.
Though I would probably switch out the Fans to something more suited.

-ST
I have plenty of rads and fans lying around. I can buy the pump/waterblock/res on its own for $52 USD as a cheap way to give my son watercooling. I was just hoping that the pump is strong enough to push water around the extra 980ti waterblock and perhaps a total of 360mm of rad.