Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 29, 2015, 07:27 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default EKWB Predator 240 AIO Review Comment Thread

The all in one water cooling market is a cluttered place but the EKWB Predator sets itself apart by offering insane performance and one of the most robust designs around.

Read and watch more here: EKWB Predator 240 AIO Review

Old October 29, 2015, 07:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

How is pump vibration transmission/noise on this when mounted vs. unmounted? I didn't see any mention of it in the written review nor mention of it in the video review - would have been something nice to have touched upon. Would also like to have seen what the EK backplate looks like.

Pretty cheap of EK not to include 2011 mounts given the higher-end customer base they're trying to target, and at least the tubes are long enough that you can probably mount it in the front of your case.
Old October 29, 2015, 08:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

"Yes, girth does matter."

No matter how big a site gets, boys will be boys.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old October 29, 2015, 11:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

well this stuff will not change my mind to buy AIO... i prefer customize loop... ;]

btw yes it seems different class... other generic aio seems same...
NEW: customize case, XFX 750W, i7 4770k, supreme hf, GA-Z87X-OC Force, 16gb gskill ripjaws 2133mhz , xfx hd6950 CF. 128gb intel 520, wd blue and toshiba 1tb, mcp355 + EK-XRES , 2x ar697, 2x PXM360, 12x AC F12 fans, 12 x shroud, STT 123W fan filter. 2442.88CDN
OLD: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
Old October 30, 2015, 05:26 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
How is pump vibration transmission/noise on this when mounted vs. unmounted? I didn't see any mention of it in the written review nor mention of it in the video review - would have been something nice to have touched upon. Would also like to have seen what the EK backplate looks like.
I'll add a quick revision ASAP. The transmission of pump vibrations is handled quite well by what EK calls their "Hovercore" which essentially dampens those vibrations through the use of gaskets and the fact the pump never comes into contact with the chassis frame.
Old October 30, 2015, 05:36 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Just to point out a few things regarding something in the review that also led to Zoob's comment.

The Predator supports 2011(-v3) sockets out of the box. But some 2011(-v3) socket boards have there CPU cooler mounting holes not drilled all the way through the PCB and in these cases only, you need to buy a specific set of shorter screws. And I kind of agree that they could have been included.

The AMD version of the Predator will be available in the beginning of 2016.

The pump is very easy on the vibration. My Predator 360 is running at 100% on my tech station currently and the only way to feel it vibrate it to wrap my hand around it and even than it's very hard to feel the vibration.

Other than that, it's another nice review from you guys!
Old October 30, 2015, 06:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by akira749 View Post
The Predator supports 2011(-v3) sockets out of the box. But some 2011(-v3) socket boards have there CPU cooler mounting holes not drilled all the way through the PCB and in these cases only, you need to buy a specific set of shorter screws. And I kind of agree that they could have been included.
Don't drill your mobo to mount it like jayztwocents
Old October 30, 2015, 06:15 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoob View Post
Don't drill your mobo to mount it like jayztwocents
Please no!
Old October 30, 2015, 06:45 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ive had the 360 on backorder for a little bit now. Curious for the pump question - is your rig literally attached to your head while in use? Or a microphone installed to listen for these things? I feel if you can hear the pump that much where its becoming a problem you are doing something really wrong.

Hoping my predator 360 comes in soon. Although this is more of a preconfigured custom loop than an AIO.
Old October 30, 2015, 07:18 AM
Allstar

It's a legitimate question. Pumps mounted directly to other items without decoupling will transmit vibrations that can be loud. DDCs are typically worse than D5s in this regard. It's pretty impressive how one mounted to a bay reservoir will transmit through it into the case. My D5 Vario mounted to a Monsoon V2 in a TJ08-E was hilariously loud at anything above the 1 setting, and that particular res takes precautions for decoupling. That's pretty much a worse case example though, knowing how flimsy the 5.25" bay is in the TJ08-E.

While this next point doesn't apply to a massive AIO like this, building a loop in a SFF case, sound becomes a greater concern. As SFF is typically thought of as smaller than 20L, the cases usually have ventilation on all sides to have acceptable thermals. Any and all noise escapes the case as a result. Since the cases are small, they usually sit on people's desks close to their head, where they can likely hear noise with the system at idle/low use.

The reason why I mention the above is to provide context to the fact that zoob is no stranger to SFF, and once you've built smaller cases you start to take these things into consideration.

With respect to the Predator, if you have the space to mount this, I would be bold enough to say that it's the best thing out there both out of the box and in allowing loop expansion in the future. You may want to change the Vardars though.. GT's beat them significantly at 800 - 1200rpm. They are closer at 1500rpm and above, though the GT's still win.