Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 14, 2014, 08:11 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default NZXT Kraken X61 & X41 Review Comment Thread

NZXT's X61 and X41 don't look any different from many other All in One water coolers but the original Kraken design has been thoroughly updated for better performance and quieter acoustics.

Article URL: NZXT Kraken X61 & X41 Liquid CPU Coolers Review
Old December 14, 2014, 08:46 PM
Top Prospect

I have had my x60 for a while now. Great performer but I have skipped the software suite entirely. I found it obnoxious and bothersome. Stuck with the mobo's 4pin and my fan controller instead. Overall great cooling capacity though and it runs quite quiet with noctuas on it now. I never figured out why these coolers dont read the core temp on the cpu instead of the CPU temp. The large 280mm radiator can be pretty fussy as it only fits certain cases.

Dumb question: Why run the pump from the cpu cooler pin? Just for the sake of keeping tabs on the speed of the pump ? Isn't it always 100% anyway?
Old December 14, 2014, 08:49 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

X41 and X61 have variable speed pumps so they dont have to run at 100% all the time ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 14, 2014, 09:01 PM
Top Prospect

LOL oh.
Old December 15, 2014, 08:34 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Great review. I have the X60 for my last build and I love it. I have transferred it to my latest build. Other than the variable speed pump I don't see a reason for me to upgrade to the X61.

JerrysPCBuilds Facebook
Old December 15, 2014, 09:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Nice review.

Coolers like the the X61 are really interesting to me, as I would love to have one, but as nice as they are I just can't justify the cost. I completely understand the many benefits, especially vs a 3 pound $80 air cooler, but you can get 80+% of the performance from a <$30 air cooler. The $100 in savings could get you a step higher GPU or a larger capacity SSD, either of which provides much more tangible gains.

That all said, I still want one. If only I could push logic aside (bang for buck still rules inside my head).
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old December 15, 2014, 08:28 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrysPCBuilds View Post
Great review. I have the X60 for my last build and I love it. I have transferred it to my latest build. Other than the variable speed pump I don't see a reason for me to upgrade to the X61.
Just like CPUs....you really don't 'need' to upgrade every generation. If you have the X60, the X61 would only bring modest improvements...improvements you may never notice. With that being said for your next build...there is basically zero good reasons to hunt down an X60 over the X61. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr