Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 21, 2014, 10:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile 1st Foray

Well after procrastinating for quite a while I decided to get into wcing and decided to keep everything except the lines to and from the components outside of the case.

So far I've finished 1 of the mounting brackets for the rads. Now don't be too critical as I used a zip cutter band saw and hand drill to make it. If it works good enough I might clean it up or make something a bit nicer.

Here's a cpl of pics of a mounted rad with some of the fans on it, 107 cfm/fan if I remember correctly.

It's just 2x2x1/8 Aluminum angle. Easy enough to work with.

Almost forgot, cut out the extra aluminum behind the fans to maximize air flow as well.

Having a bit of fun!!!

FF
Attached Images

Old August 23, 2014, 11:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Water Cooling

Wow, I didn't think it was that bad/funny.

Anyone here using theirs with external(outside of the case) watercooling?

I'm just about to mount the pump to the side of 1 of those rad brackets next. Any reason why I shouldn't run a line right out of the rad into the pump/reservoir right below it and then into the cpu/gpu and back out.

With quick connects I can remove 1 of the rads when not in benching mode.

EDIT: I can't get an 8 channel fc so I figured straight off of the psu for full bore cooling, hopefully not too loud with 33db/fan under load, so maybe it's real loud when combined. Time for a wireless headset to listen to tunes and drown

out the fans...lol.

FF

Last edited by fishingfanatic; August 23, 2014 at 11:51 AM.
Old August 23, 2014, 12:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

IDK about other people but in my case I am having a hard time visualizing what is going on here, there is just a pic of a rad on some metal on a toilet tank. Are you watercooling your toilet?

RE: external rads... mine is on a piano hinge hanging off the side of my InWin Q500. The side panel and any way to keep the rad closed are not implemented yet, so it flops around if you try to move the case. :P No quick disconnects here.

About the fans, you might consider getting a decent controller that can handle your fans in pairs. Just do not buy that logisys 6-channel 30w-per-channel one with blue LEDs. the LEDs die and it cannot actually do 30w.

Anyway, I suspect if there was more info or you had a specific question and a clearly outlined plan, you might get a bit more input. Not likely too much from me though IDK what I am doing.

TL:DR
more pics/diagrams, what are you doing? have any specific questions? opinions?
Old August 23, 2014, 01:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yeah I don't really see what's going on either.
Old August 23, 2014, 02:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Water Cooling

Well this is 1 of 2 rads I mounted to run standing up. 1 on either side of the case so the case exhaust doesn't blow warm air on them. There are 4 108 cfm fans/rad. I'll be mounting a D5/reservoir on another piece of aluminum angle

which I will bolt onto the side of 1 of these to feed the pump straight from the rad to the pump. I guess I can picture it but not explain it well, so I'll try to make it a bit clearer.

Think of a Y. At the top points are the rad/fan combos with the pc on the bottom and the pump on the bottom and side of a rad bracket as well so only the inlet and outlet go to and from the case, with the exception of the fan wiring of

course.

I was just wondering if anyone has reasons to run everything internally, or if there's any advantage to doing that. It seems to me that the less connections the better internally for water, and less heat from rads and pump/res.

I don't think it would be any quieter either with everything in an enclosed space. I understand the want and in some cases( no pun intended)lol the need to keep everything internally. Pets, babies, lack of space,...

Figured if anyone had some +ive input or constructive criticism it couldn't hurt.

FF

Edit: I suppose if I had a beauty in a bikini holding a rad then regardless of what I wrote it would make sense...lol
Old August 23, 2014, 02:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Aesthetics and portabilty and dust control are the main reasons to stay internal.

This is my primary rig
Attached Images

Old August 23, 2014, 03:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Water Cooling

Nice! Awfully crowded in there though.

I would have no patience working in there, but well thought out to pack it all into that thing!

Oh bcuz I have 2 hairy dogs and for dust control I thought a nylon over the entire bracket with the toe cut out for the wcing fittings, like a sleeve to keep out the hair and dust.

Haven't tried that yet though.

Oh, I almost forgot, I had to remove the wcing rads from the throne, something was getting a little too cool... no, my hands u dirty buggers...

FF

Last edited by fishingfanatic; August 23, 2014 at 03:59 PM.
Old August 23, 2014, 03:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What size are the fans ?
Old August 23, 2014, 03:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

That sounds interesting. Man that will be a lot of cooling capacity...I guess you need it with the kit you run. As you get it setup take a picture back a bit further to better show it. As mentioned, the big thing with internal vs external is dust (and fur), and aesthetics.
Old August 23, 2014, 04:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Water Cooling

Yeah no problem about a few more pics as it starts to make sense even to me...lol

As for the fans, they're the koolance from Daz, 120mm.

Hahahaha, almost put 1200mm. Now that would work a little too good for the entire room.

Couldn't get the proper size hose in the colour I wanted att, so I went with Red instead of black like I wanted originally.

Basically fits the red/black theme I'm using.

Black and black sparkle fittings.... low key like Iron Man's Red and Gold paintjob...