Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 14, 2014, 07:24 AM
Rookie

Default Fittings for Copper Pipes

Hi,
I'm pretty new here. Going to build my first WC build, and have decided to go with copper pipes.
I know it's going to be tough, but I (hope) I'm up for the task. Will be a learning experience.
I read on OCN that you can find 12mm pipes in North America, so I bought the BitsPower 12mm hard tube fittings. Unfortunately, in Canada those pipes are almost impossible to get.
So, I was thinking of trying the standard pipe (1/2" ID 5/8" OD) and match them with the BitsPower 16mm fittings.
Theoretically, there's a 0.0125 difference (16mm vs. 15.875mm) but I was hoping it will work.
Anyone has some experience with these and can tell me if it will work or not? Or suggest any other (good) fittings that would?

Thanks!
And I'll do a build log when I have these sorted. Have some of the parts already, but not all...
Old August 14, 2014, 04:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This is the Only copper pipe build I remember on this site.

Project: APASF ("A Post-Apocalyptic Steampunk Future") (Final Pictures 29-03-2013)

EDIT : Home Hardware :Home Hardware - 1/2" Outside Diameter x 25' .035 General Purpose Copper Tubing

Last edited by ZZLEE; August 14, 2014 at 05:00 PM.
Old August 15, 2014, 07:45 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZLEE View Post
I tried answering this morning but for some reason it's not up here. I'll try and recreate what I wrote.

That is an awesome build! It looks great! I initially thought of using plumbing fittings but couldn't find a build using them, and figured as this is my first watercooling build, I'll learn from the wisdom and experience of others. Will look into it again now.

As for the link, I forgot to mention that I prefer rigit copper and not the soft copper. These are much harder to get straight lines with and I want to go copper for the nice clean look.

Thanks a lot though! Great reply!
Old August 18, 2014, 09:42 PM
Rookie

I tried replying a couple of times, but it didn't post my replies.
First of all, thanks for your reply!
That build is awesome! I really like copper pipes builds. I need to get new fittings but after consulting with some people I think that should work.

As for the pipe, I should have mentioned it, but I prefer the hard pipes and not the soft ones. I have seen one like that but it will be extremely hard to get a straight line with those.
Old August 19, 2014, 05:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I've seen this done with MIPxsweat fittings instead of the hard tube fittings. You'd only need to cut them down on a band saw to make them smaller and sexy. The only issue being installing the copper pipe... unions galore probably.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.

Last edited by clshades; August 19, 2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old August 19, 2014, 06:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

tube cutter is the way to go , bandsaw chews and distorts tube if using course blades need a high TPI blade
Old August 19, 2014, 08:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have always wanted to do a Full copper WC build but it is allot of work and I think that I would have problems with connecting to the PCs CPU and graphics card becasue of no real give in the tubing and myself with fairly unsteady large hands well it seems a little out of my league but they do look awesome as far as I am concerned
Old Today, 08:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You can't cut fittings with a tube cutter Kapt. GL with that. There is a fella in the mods section Post your WaterCooled PC pics here thread who did a copper build I liked.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.