Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 19, 2014, 04:12 PM
Top Prospect

Default EK D5 X TOP CSQ

Hey guys,

I am abit frustrated with what had happened just now. I was installing the aquacomputer d5 pump on the ek d5 x top csq. I was tightening down the screws until its quite hard to further tighten it down. However, at this point there was a noticeable gap between the pump top and the back plate that holds the pump. I checked online and I didnt see this gap on any reviews. While I was browsing for solution, I heard a loud crack. The back plate that is holding the pump exploded and dislodged it self breaking the plate... Was there any reason that this happened?
This is a similar picture that had happened to me when I was screwing. http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img30/9433/fcm4.jpg

Thanks,
Attached Images

Last edited by CORE; June 19, 2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old June 19, 2014, 06:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Probably pinched the o-ring between the two pieces of plexi. I know I had an absolute shit time getting my EK X-Top V2 top back on after swapping o-rings on the D5.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old June 19, 2014, 06:41 PM
Top Prospect

Hey lpfan4ever, well the top area cracked and broke off. As of now, I am just going to suck it up and get another pump top(this time the acetal version). The O-ring was not going inside the screw bracket holding the pump so its squished liked a sandwiched between the acrylic. I was just wondering if I did anything wrong during the installation? I followed the one given by EK and youtube videos. But these people did not suffer from the gap I had. Will EK help me out here or its just a shot in the dark?

Here is another picture.
Attached Images

Old June 19, 2014, 10:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I had that issue with my EK XTop on my D5 as well. I continued to tighen down each screw slowly and eventually the gap closed itself. I thought I had the wrong O-ring at first.
Old June 20, 2014, 02:00 AM
Top Prospect

Hey Joe, well I did tighten it slowly... But then a crack just formed that destroyed the top...
Old June 20, 2014, 02:22 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

That sucks. I had a fitment issue with an EK block years ago and they treated me well. (overnighted the correct part from a Canadian vendor and paid shipping back for the block that didn't fit even though it was listed to fit that card)

I personally moved away from Plexi blocks entirely about 5 years ago after having another brand of CPU block do the same thing, must have had something pinched under the block as I tightened it down. Plexi is not very forgiving due to its brittleness... acetyl, nylon, delrin or almost any other kind of plastic is better suited for this kind of application, but doesn't look as baller.
Old June 21, 2014, 04:25 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORE View Post
Hey Joe, well I did tighten it slowly... But then a crack just formed that destroyed the top...
I hear ya. Mine was acetal, which I assume is more rigid than the plexi. Call up EK, they may send you a new one.
Old July 1, 2014, 09:35 AM
Top Prospect

Hey guys,

Just for a reference for anyone who might run with the same problem as mine when it comes to EK-top. I was able to resolve it with EK and they said that the screw bracket was defective. They have sent me a new one. I compared the old screw bracket and the new bracket. From what I observed, the O-ring groove was a lot shallower in the defective unit compared to the functional unit. Just a heads up! Here is a comparison pic.
Attached Images

Old July 1, 2014, 10:31 AM
MVP

My System Specs

oh... a little failed QA at EK.

hope this one fairs you better mate.