Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 9, 2014, 11:10 PM
Rookie

Default Which XSPC kit for Crossfire 290x ?

XSPC Rasa & Raystorm 450 & 750 Watercooling Kits >> XSPC Watercooling Shop

I'm looking to buy a full XSPC kit strictly to cool my two 290x's, picking up the Razer waterblocks with back plates, but I'm stuck on deciding which one of these kits would do the best job at cooling them...
the CPU is already cooled by a Corsair H100 that does a really good job as it is, but I don't know maybe I should hook up a loop the the CPU as well then, what you guys think ?

Both of my vid cards are already being liquid cooled with Zalman CPU coolers I had hooked up with one of those custom brackets, the GPU's are actually is pretty well cooled but I'm worried about my VRM, even though I have heatsinks on them but as you can see in the screenshots below, these are consecutive Firestrike, and Firestrike Extreme runs, see the VRM got as hot as 103 c's

this is how I had it hooked up prior to adding the second 290, I planned on keeping this setup but I think it's time to move to a legit water cooling setup from XSPC and clean up this mess I got goin in my case right now

Old June 10, 2014, 05:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I reckon it's kinda pointless to scab a fan into the setup like that if the cooling isn't effectively cooling the entire card. I'm not sure what the clear one is doing exactly? If it's hooked up it's doing nothing at all sitting on your PSU like that. The fan on the zalman rad should be blowing into the case not out. Unless you leave the side off in which case it's doesn't really matter.

I'd be willing to bet if you put a full cover WB on that video card and modded the zalman to run on it it would cool pretty good.

I'm assuming the custom fan setup on the video card is blowing onto the video card? Keep in mind the stock cooling fan spins pretty fast so if the fan you put on there isn't doing 2k+ it might not be moving enough air to keep the vrm's cooled.

You can also purchase long copper vrm coolers that stick on like the ones you already have. That would make a huge difference.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old June 10, 2014, 10:36 AM
Rookie

Shades yea I just put that fan there to blow some air onto the heatsinks that's all.... I have some pictures below of how the crossfire setup currently looks... it's messy and got me thinking I might as well cool everything including the CPU to get rid of all these big radiators inside the case, and just put one giant one on top of the outside of my case screw it in which I measured and it would work, I just wouldn't be able to put the top case cover back on which is allright with me

I did a bit more research and it looks like the Aqua Computer full blocks and active cooling backplates are the best choice for my cards, I'm still looking at getting a complete XSPC kit however, but now I'm thinking I should just get their biggest most expensive kit and cool the CPU and both GPU's as well... this is the Aqua covers though, from the benchmarks I've seen it keeps the VRM's noticeably cooler than the other options

Last edited by ChrisCP3Paul; June 10, 2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old June 10, 2014, 03:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

is there room for a triple rad in the top of your case? You could always do a dual and a single to cool everything too. Buy the stuff used off the buy/sell forums and cut your costs in half. The only thing I don't like about some of the kits is the pump and res is all in one. So when the pump goes you throw the whole thing out. Alternatively you can get the pump/res combo so in case the pump goes you can simply replace it. https://www.dazmode.com/store/produc...pre-assembled/

Lots of options in that regard and it's still XSPC.

Those kits look find and dandy till ya get them installed and realize pretty quickly the fittings don't work the way you expected and have to order more stuff. :) Kits work fine for cooling a single item or perhaps a cpu and vid card but as soon as you start getting into crossfire etc it's better to custom build your loops.

Lots of help here in that regard though.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old June 10, 2014, 04:31 PM
MVP

My System Specs

have a couple 780's and a cpu in my loop but run a couple 360 rads fans on low but ya need the room in your case for this or maybe external . Now norm is one rad for each unit to cool so triple technically would work on its own. They do make external back of case mounts... If your moving things outside would suggest a quad rad min...
Old June 10, 2014, 07:41 PM
Rookie

nasrott yea I'm thinking external as well because I got a full tower case, and yea I'm thinking a quad radiator as well but its gonna have to hang over the rear edge of my case as you can see how my case is in the picture here, what do you think about that ? not a big deal ??

Shades I took your advice about the heatsink over the VRM and ordered a Gellid Icy Vision enhancement kit and I will see how the VRM temperatures go, like you said probably will help especially since I have fans over the row of VRM's there as well.... the kit looks like this as you can see perfectly fills in the parts I don't have heatsinked..... this should be sufficient enough while I do more research on what type of kit to set up.... I think I will take your other advice about that as well in regards to just putting a kit together, but I'm sticking with the Aqua blocks though as they offer the best performance.

Old June 10, 2014, 08:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Those GPU blocks are supposed to be pretty good from what I've read and user reviews. You can definitely mount the rad and fans out side of the case to run your water cooling if you like. I would simply add a couple QDC's on the inlet and outlet (somewhere) to make servicing much easier. I think the easiest style I've used so far are the threaded type. This type here works really well So you screw one in to each side of the rad in/out and then This one on the loop side in/out

So even if part of the rad hung over the back side of the case it's a couple quick disconnects and your removing parts from the system easily with very little spillage etc.

Let me know how those VRM's run after you put the heat spreaders on them. I keep reading that they work as intended but have yet to talk to anyone directly to verify! I think they would be an excellent addition to the FM2 mobo's and overclocking.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old June 11, 2014, 12:26 AM
MVP

My System Specs

full cover blocks are the way to go imho, went the ram and vrm sinks route years ago, killed a new vid that way once in cf, did something wrong watched it burst into a small flame was allot of swearing I remember...

Eventually your cooling will force u into a new case then another, then another... lol, soon you'll consider building or buying pedestals to house the rads and pumps.. so on and so on.

Last edited by nasrott; June 11, 2014 at 12:33 AM.
Old June 11, 2014, 12:52 AM
MVP

My System Specs

mountain mods has some external sandwich rad housings and as cl mentioned quick disconnects may make things easier in your setup believe they are setup for triples though...
MountainMods.com-Water Cooling-Radiator Housings-Mountain Mods - Radical Sandwich (Smoked PA 1203)

just to give ya some ideas, sandwiches were out in 2009, imagine is some cooler stuff out now...

https://www.google.ca/search?q=exter...w=1006&bih=605

Last edited by nasrott; June 11, 2014 at 01:02 AM.
Old June 17, 2014, 09:31 PM
Rookie

^ Nasrott thanks for the links and advice, very helpful... and yea I definitely hear you and will get it all done right the first time around

clshades I just installed the Gelid heatsink kit and these are the temps you wanted to know about

before:
VRM1 @ 103c
VRM2 @ 68c

after:
VRM1 @ 71c
VRM2 @ 60c

so yea pretty solid temperature drops... VRM2 not much of a difference because I already had that small fan there before, but VRM1 where I had nothing a big difference, I think this setup is as good as it gets without legit water cooling