Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 12, 2014, 06:47 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default 3/8 5/8 fitting/tubing problems

Have a new set of 3/8 5/8 bitspower compression fittings and some primochill advanced LRT tubing for a new rig I am setting up. I was previously using 3/8 1/2 with no problems - Figured I'd try a thicker tube wall for the improved bend radius.

I wasted about an an hour and a half last night struggling to properly fit a compression fitting to the tubing. Is there some special consideration I'm missing with thicker walled tubing? I tried seating the tubing at various locations - after the first indentation, second indentation, even up against the end of the fitting which I'm aware is not recommended.

In all scenarios, the compression ring could not catch the thread, suggesting that the tubing may not be seated correctly. Visually it seems ok. I did a few re-cuts to verify no abnormality in the cut of the tubing itself. (Using this for reference) I have reconfirmed and it seems both the fittings and tubing are indeed 3/8 5/8 - there doesn't seem to be a mismatch occurring here.

Anyone encounter something similar in the past?

Old May 12, 2014, 07:12 AM
MVP

My System Specs

my friend.

try softening the tube under hot/boiled water.
Old May 12, 2014, 10:02 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Will do. I tried briefly yesterday but did not put enough effort into it. Based on this could the tubes rigidity be causing an improper fitment?

Old May 12, 2014, 11:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I have both Feser and some Primo Tubing here....bought the Primo from NCIX as it was on sale for around $10 . 10 ft....anyhow, havent used it yet (presently using Feser), but I tried 1 Compression Fitting just to see the fit with Primo and yes...extremely tight compared to the Feser....

As someone pointed out and what I have done...soak the end of the Hose in Hot water for 45 seconds or so...slides onto Barb a little easier...then I put a tiny bit of my spit on the outside of the tube end and this seemed to make it a little easier getting the Compression on and tightened properly.

Someone else mentioned that the Primochill may have had some issues in the past with incorrect Inside / Outside diameters.....I'm somewhat reluctant now to use the Primo vs the Feser due to how hard it was to get the Fittings on.

Also, I secure the Fittings and Hoses to the rads prior to installing in my Case.

Old May 12, 2014, 11:42 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for checking that. Heating the tube definitely makes getting the tubing onto the barb portion easier though I was able to before with a bit of effort. Still having difficulties with the compression ring catching the barbs thread though. It seems as the the tubing doesn't seat properly preventing the ring from getting to the threading. I'll see if lubricating it helps.

I had measured inner/outer diameter and it seems correct, unless they were off by small amounts that ended up making a significant difference.

P.S. I did order some Feser from Daz today. I've used it in 3/8 1/2 and as this is my first time working with Primochill I wanted to see what the hell is going on.

Old May 12, 2014, 11:58 AM

My System Specs

Primochill tubing seems to have a small variation in its size. Some batches seem to be slightly too large. I have heard of this problem often enough. Soak the ends on boiling water for a minute or two. The hotter the better.
Old May 12, 2014, 12:18 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Yeah, the boiling water along with forcing the tubing to be as straight as possible while threading the compression ring on is doing the trick. What a pain. I believe this will be my first and last venture with Primochill moving forward :p

Thanks all!

Old May 12, 2014, 02:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yeah I'm reluctant to use my 2 packages....really liked working with the Feser....

Old May 12, 2014, 04:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yes I agree, BP fittings on Primochill tubing is very tight. By the time I'm finished my loop, my fingers are in pain from it.

That being said, I haven't had any issues getting it to thread, it just takes a fair bit of force to get it screwed in after that.
Old May 12, 2014, 04:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

some light soapy water and a brush to paint the outer tube only at end where compression nut mates and inner of nut

will be smooth fit up