Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 5, 2014, 09:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Temps Query

Hey guys...been running this Loop for a few weeks now...close to that anyhow, so just want your thoughts on my Temps.....okay..?...or is my OCD once again taking hold

First the Loop:
Pump: D5 Vario / Res combo - pump running at a tad over #2
XSPC EX 360 Rad up top - push / pull Corsair SP Series exhaust
XSPC EX 360 Rad below - push / pull Noctua NF F Series Intake

2 x 780Ti w EK Full Blocks
3930K w EK Supremacy Copper / Acetol

Been playing around with my CPU OC a bit, gaming etc and thse are my Temps:
Ambient Room Temp around 22c

CPU: 101 Bclk * 48 = 4.85 Ghz w 16GB Corsair Doms @ 1880 Mhz 9-10-9-27 2T
EDIT: Forgot to mention Offset OC'ing - vcore under full load 1.392v - 1.401v
GPU's: +145 Mhz Core / +260 Mhz Memory = Run at 1244 Mhz gaming

CPU under full load LinX 15 Cycles - Core Temp: Max Temps 71c - 65c- 62c - 69c - 60c - 68c
All idle around 27c - 32c
I believe with my previous Swiftech H320 push / pull just cooling my CPU the Temp were about +6c compared to present Temps.
Playing BF4 I get a Max CPU Temp of 64c with all the other Cores around 55c - 58c

GPU's Peak Looping Heaven or a 60 min session of BF4 stabilize at 45c - 48c
(both seem to idle at whatever the room temp is)

All Fans on the Rads are running around 80% - so there 1450 RPM Fans, would think they're running around 1100 - 1200 RPM.

So, these Temps seem alright?

Couple of things I'm considering:

1. I didnt install the 2011 Socket Jet Plate on the CPU EK Block (left the installed Jet Plat on, as instructions stated "optional"), would installing this reduce temps much on the CPU?

2. Adding a 240mm Rad to the Loop down below.....if I did this I think I would have 1 set of Fans on both Rads down below (not push / pull)

3. Swapping out the top 360mm Rad for a full Quad 120mm Rad up top.(and still adding 240mm Rad below)

Anyhow, for you WC Enthusiasts your opinions on my Temps is much appreciated, sorry, fairly new to the Wet World so still monitoring / questioning some basic stuff I know.

Last edited by rjbarker; May 5, 2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old May 6, 2014, 12:56 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I've got a i7 3820 at 125x39 in a custom loop. Temps are pretty similar.

GPU temps are fine. You are already running a lot of Rads for the components you have. Typically one 120mm section of Rad per hot component is the rule of thumb. Your water temperature is likely close to ambient already.

Best case you would have all your rads venting hot air out of the case. Rather than having your intake Rad pour heat back over your components and back through your other Rad.
Old May 6, 2014, 01:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Atta boy RJ. I'm curious to see what your next build is going to be. Maybe back to a Swiftech AIO for cooling? The H220X and 320X are going to be released soon.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old May 6, 2014, 04:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Hey Slik ...thanks man.... ;)....nope my days of AIO and Air Cooled GPU's are now officially "over"... ;)

Next build....?......easy -
Same Case
Modified Cooling Loop (although I may already have the additional 120.2 Rad by then n hopefully my CPU WB will still be okay for the X99 modified Socket 2011 CPU...we'll see..
X99 RVE ....perhaps with WB's and boasting x16 (Tri SLi PCI-E Laes..as in 48 Lanes ;)
Next generation of X99 CPU's ...."Performance" edition
Min 16GB DDR4 (is that right?)...likely Domnator Platinum Kit at 2133 Mhz
Plan on replacing the 3 yr old AX1200W with a new AX1500i PSU

Above will be a very expensive "upgrade"...one of the frst thing I want to see is OC'ing and Benches of the newest X99 CPU's- min 6 Core...if there easily reaching 4.8 - 4.9 Ghz with reasonable voltages n temps, min 15MB L2 Cache I'll be a happy camper and "really" look forward to the upgrade...if I see initial poor OC'ing results and problematic Mobo / Chipset issues.....I'll wait a bit!!

Quote:
Typically one 120mm section of Rad per hot component is the rule of thumb.
I know this is what Daz and many others state...but surf some other Forums and you'll see it seems at minimum "debatable"....Overclock.net many state 2 x Rads with each heavily OC'd piece of HW (based on a Formula expressed as required cooling for xx Watts, or something to that nature)...

Quote:
Your water temperature is likely close to ambient already.
For sure reflective of my GPU Temps...they are always idling at room Temp....for example first thing in the AM my upstairs Office is around 18c...my GPU's both idle at 17c and 19c...I know...never ever though I'd seem Temps like that on a couple of 780Ti's ;)
Quote:
Best case you would have all your rads venting hot air out of the case. Rather than having your intake Rad pour heat back over your components and back through your other Rad.
Another heavily debatable scenario.....I actually am on the other side of the fence on this one..I believe in setting up all Rads as Intakes for 2 reasons:
1. Obviously Rads get "freshest n coolest" air to utilize for heat transfer.
2. Any worry of "warm air build up" in the case is a moot point considering both the "positive air pressure" in the case and the facts that you'll likely have at min a 140mm exhaust fan set up and cases are full of vents n air leak locations to "exhaust" the warm air before it becomes an issue. (Cases certainly are not "air tight" )...as said debateble

Last edited by rjbarker; May 6, 2014 at 05:08 PM.
Old May 6, 2014, 07:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm down at 4.2GHz and ~1.3V which gets me a max of 63C during LinX (problem size 11530, memory 1024, run 15). I idle from 31-35C with the same 22C room temperature.

I have a EX360 + RX240 and a HK3.0 Nickel block on the CPU. My GTX690 is in the loop too. Dual DDC's w/ PWM, set pretty low at idle but 100% once CPU temps are over 40C. Fan wise, Gentle Typhoons 1450RPM, running at roughly 5V (low on the Cosmos II fan controller). Also I don't think I've cleaned anything since Nov 2012...

As you can see, I've become lazy and have moved towards silence over performance.

But at your voltage and having dual GPUs in the loop, those temps seem about right to me. If you want to improve your temps some, I'd agree with the above and say to make your top rad intake instead of exhaust.

I used to run 4.8GHz too, but the heat/noise wasn't worth it as I saw no obvious gains in gaming.