Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 4, 2014, 08:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Freezone Ellite mod?

I've been dying to try this thing out somewhere some how and I think I might have an idea that would work. There's a couple possible ways to tie this into my current loop but I'm happy to hear some suggestions. I'm not sure this thing has enough power to cool a K|ngp|n and I really don't want to risk it.

The 1st loop is the most obvious but the second one might throw some of you a curveball. I'll explain the second one after the picture.

1st loop idea

Second loop idea.

Ok so basically the second loop idea is how we tie in heating and/or cooling loops in commercial plumbing. Obviously there's a shit ton more going on with commercial heating/cooling systems but this is basically how they work. The cooling loop is short and quick basically injecting cold liquid into the system loop. This helps prevent overloading of the TEC's by not allowing very warm water to ever enter it. It still provides cooling with half the power costs and efficiency losses.

Loop one will work but it will make the Freezone work pretty hard to cool off the warmer water.

Lemmie know what ya think.. I've been wanting to experiment with this for quite some time now.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.

Last edited by clshades; May 4, 2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old May 4, 2014, 08:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

gotta edit my pics one sec
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old May 4, 2014, 08:38 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You could take your 1st loop idea and simply reverse the order. The water should have most of it's heat removed already by the rad and thus the Freezone can add that little extra "boost" in cooling it down further.

I think you'd want to do the same with your 2nd loop idea too since you'd be pumping "cold" liquid into the rad which would dissipate that coolness and equalize it more with room temperature.
Old May 4, 2014, 08:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yeh I was thinking the same JD. The second loop doesn't matter "AS" much because the cool water from the freezone mixes with the warmer system loop a little bit but not too much if you know what I mean. It works by injection so when there is a call for more cooling like gaming or folding it kicks in more. Idling it will probably never run. I think performance wise using the rad outlet on loop 2 might work a little better though.

Commercial systems are far easier to tweak hehe... more valves and gauges to play with.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old May 4, 2014, 10:37 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I agree with JD about adding the TEC to the loop after the rad.

Having the TEC first, if your TEC doesn't get the coolant down below ambient on its own (which I doubt that it will, unless that's a pretty hefty TEC stack), then you're making your rad less effective because you've lowered the temperature delta between coolant and air passing through the rad. Plus, coolant will never get below ambient.

If the TEC did actually get the coolant below ambient in some cases like idle, the rad would actually just warm the coolant back up before it goes to the CPU!

Putting the rad before the TEC lets the rad do all of the heavy lifting, practically bringing the coolant down to near ambient before passing it on to the TEC where you can then get your advantage and take the coolant temp that little bit further below what the rad can do on its own.

I'm assuming there's a decent controller on the TEC? So you shouldn't have to worry about it working too hard and damaging itself.
Old May 4, 2014, 10:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

The freezone works based off temps and adjusts the fan speed accordingly.

I would perhaps say that 50+ degrees could perhaps be pushing the limitations of the unit.
Old May 5, 2014, 04:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

dew point is an issue depends on peltier wattage
Old May 5, 2014, 06:38 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Not only that but the integrated pump on this thing is designed for small tubing diameters and short runs. There's a chance that after replumbing, you won't have enough pump power to get it working properly.
Old May 5, 2014, 02:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

All valid points. I will move the TEC cooler after the rad outlet and re-plumb the design. The other problem I need to solve with this unit is how to control the temperature sensor which some how works off the bios temp reading from the motherboard via the software. I need to discover this part 1st before I can even move forward and I believe they stopped upgrading the software during C2D but I might get lucky with my AMD system. Not a perfect scenario but workable. Alternatively there may be some way to hardwire the control box with a sensor doubtful but i'll try.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old May 5, 2014, 02:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
All valid points. I will move the TEC cooler after the rad outlet and re-plumb the design. The other problem I need to solve with this unit is how to control the temperature sensor which some how works off the bios temp reading from the motherboard via the software. I need to discover this part 1st before I can even move forward and I believe they stopped upgrading the software during C2D but I might get lucky with my AMD system. Not a perfect scenario but workable. Alternatively there may be some way to hardwire the control box with a sensor doubtful but i'll try.
If I remember properly the unit works based off of the coolant temp. The hotter the coolant the more voltage gets applied to the tec to cool the system down.

When this temperature difference is seen the units fan kicks in to help dissipate the heat away from the massive heat exchanger for the tec units.